Hi,

I'm planning on going to Japan in a month or two to ski and teach english for a year or so.

I'm thinking about working PT for nova in Nagano(5-9 mon-fri), and ski during the day. has anyone else done this?, does anyone know of a better place to stay other than Nagano and if you have taught english what schools are located near the resorts (eg in Hakuba, or Nozawa would be fantastic!!)

Thanks for your help

This was me last year, and my friends Mike, Sheep, Michelle, uuhhh, Matt, Al, and a few other dudes/ettes.

I pray for the soul of Nova/Eikaiwa employees/students everywhere.

I pulled this same crap, and so have plenty of people who aren't English teachers at all, but やっぱり, bums living off of an Eikaiwa system that lets any knucklehead who can dress in a suit and has a degree (or not) teach conversational English, and I say those words with the deepest affection for that system, and the knuckleheads involved. ;\)

There are plenty of schools, and one NOVA each in Nagano city and Matsumoto city. There are also plenty of other English schools. You might do well to have some experience, if you want the job. Nagano is a competitve place to get assigned to or hired in. Don't tell 'em you are a skier, instead, tell them that you have a girlfriend, or a Japanese teacher, or asthma and an aversion to crowded cities and smog or some crap like that, but make it good, because,

They are not looking for ski-bums in Nagano Eikaiwas, methinks. Too many of your predecessors have severely lessened the demand. Both cities are very liveable, albeit boring, and the nearby fields are very accessable - buy a car.

I'm only being half serious, but yeah if you have any ?'s I'm yer guy.

Barok is your man.

A better system is to find some poor Nova teacher living in Nagano and split the rent with him. For extra points talk him into getting a car and driving your sorry ass to the mountain every morning. lol.gif