G'day all,

I'm going to Niseko this season for the third year in a row and was interesting in buying ski boots. Last year I had a look in a couple of shops in Kutchan and they all seemed pretty cheap in comparison to buying ski boots here in Australia. However as I'm sure you're all aware the Aussie dollar is not doing so well compared to the Yen. So my question is.. Roughly how much would a decent pair of ski boots be in Kutchan at the moment? I'd be looking at getting a pretty good pair. Here in Australia they are roughly around the $700 mark which is pretty steep..

Cheers!

Hey Will,

Some tips, I did this quite a bit when living in the Northern Hemishpere for a while whilst going home to visit at the end of summer.

1. Find a brand that releases to the Southern Hemi before the current Northern Hemi season and if they fit nice, buy them at end of Aus season prices. You will usually get a 35-35% discount. Otherwise, get this Aus seasons boots. As they say, if the boot fits, wear it! biggrin

2. Get your tax back by buying them within 30 days of departure. This is the GST component and you will just have to take them to the airport and show the customs officials before checking in your luggage that you have the boots.

3. Take the receipt through customs and have them put the money back onto your CC, or write a cheque etc

4. Wear your boots at home for a bit, get moulded inners etc so that when you get here, you can put them on and go crazy.

I would say that with the exchange rate, it would be better to buy at home. If you have a day or two in Tokyo beforehand then you may find some really good deals though.

If you already do all of this (as you are a regular here), enjoy the winter!