Priests to face 'sex drive tests'

This one had me laughing

Quote:
Priests to face 'sex drive tests'

The Roman Catholic Church has issued guidance for future priests to have psychological tests to weed out those unable to control their sexual urges.

A senior churchman said a series of sex scandals had contributed to the rewriting of the guidelines.

The authors said screening would help avoid "tragic situations" caused by what they termed psychological defects.

The guidance says the voluntary tests should also aim to vet for those with "deep-seated homosexual tendencies".

Among other traits that might make a candidate unsuitable for the priesthood, the advice lists "uncertain sexual identity," "excessive rigidity of character" and "strong affective dependencies".

The document also makes reference to heterosexual urges.

Seminarians should be barred if testing makes it "evident the candidate has difficulty living in celibacy: That is, if celibacy for him is lived as a burden so heavy that it compromises his affective and relational equilibrium", it says.

The advice stipulates priests must have a "positive and stable sense of one's masculine identity".

Bizzare. The whole priest/celebacy thing.

I mean how can these priest be handing out advice on marrage, relationships etc. when they or anyone within their establishment know anything about it.

I know an even better way around it, just let the priests be normal and get married and have a normal sex life, that'll weed out all the freaks from the priesthood as regular men who are also religious would then join the priesthood

Geeze, Tubby! Don't confuse the issue by being logical! That will ruin the whole argument!

In fact, a few years ago, the priests (and Bishops etc) positions were purchased. The bishopric was a position which ws available to whoever had the biggest purse (sounds a lot like the US Presidency?) and there was no restriction on married men being priests/bishops.

Lay Preachers are just that much more believable than the celibate secluded lot...although I have a lot of respect for those like Mother Theresa that give thier entire lives over to the service of humanity...