I know you've probably had this question a MILLION times, but I'm coming to Japan to chase that fabled powder you guys talk about so much.. So give some tips to a couple of Japan newbies..

We are arriving in Osaka on the 1st of Feb, plan to fly up to Sapporo the next day for a 7-10 days of snowboarding - but where should we go? We are intermediate to advanced snowboarders who enjoy being off-piste and away from the parks (cracked my helmet and never gone back).. So my questions are;

1) Which resort/s? should we bother trying to fit in 2 different resorts?

2) Where to stay? (cheap-ish)

3) What should we expect conditions to be like begin Feb?

4) Should we lug our gear or hire (we intend to tour Japan for 3 weeks afterwards)?

I know these questions are kinda open - but just tell me what you think - I appreciate any suggestions or help you can give!

Thanks! - Beck the SnoWombat

1) Which resort/s? should we bother trying to fit in 2 different resorts?

We considered moving resorts this coming trip to experience two new area's, but after considering the logistics of packing away all the still damp gear - relocating and unpacking again (with 4 kids) we decided no. As two adults it would be easier for you - and if you are hiring gear, much less troublesome. Ideally I would love to sample two spots, logistically we always end up doing one.

2) Where to stay? (cheap-ish)

Cheapish - probably be avoiding Grand Hirafu/Niseko area then... especially with the tumbling dollar.

3) What should we expect conditions to be like begin Feb?

Asked and answered above. Simply divine.

4) Should we lug our gear or hire (we intend to tour Japan for 3 weeks afterwards)?

Depends on your preference.

The takkubin (arrghh did I spell that right) luggage transfer service in Japan is amazing. You can send your snow gear on to the airport at the end of your snow experience and pick it up before departure - no need to lug it. Just hoping we can find something as convenient to send our snowboards ahead of us to Zermatt so we don't have to lug them around London!

To hire - you can change gear as required - don't like the kit...swap it over. Some prefer to ride powder boards in Ja-Pow, you should be able to hire one.

To Take - I prefer my own kit. My boots fit me like a glove, no sore spots and I know just how to get the best tension on the laces for ME...plus no other persons smelly feet been in them! I like my board. It is like an old friend - familiarity allows me to just GO...without getting the feel of a different board first. Less of a hassle lugging it when it was just me and a couple of friend all responsible for our own kit....but when we travel as a family and I am lugging a snowboard bag with 2 boards, 2 helmets, 2 sets of boots etc etc PLUS a suitcase - argh! - but still worth it to bring our own gear.

Should we lug our gear or hire (we intend to tour Japan for 3 weeks afterwards)?

Your an intermediate rider, going on a snowboard holiday and want to rent gear? Dont really understand that, especially for the boots.

Also, I reckon you have your holiday upside down. Id ride for 3 weeks, take in a couple of resorts and have 7-10 non-snow days. You could ride Hokkaido, Nagano and see all of Honshu that you want in that time. You could even see either of Shikokou or Kyushu and not be rushed.

Plenty will disagree with me but i dont think Japan justifies a 3 week non-snow holiday. The food and sights are all pretty similar and the train means travel times are super short. If your hell bent on traveling for 3 weeks try Thailand

Matt

Matt, for someone who's living "in country" you have a very negative attitude.

I'll be on my 4th trip to Japan come January. I have spent about 2 weeks travelling around, and all before the skiing adventure each year.

Why before ski?? Well, we use Takkyubin to get the gear to the resort accom and travel light. Then, we travel with all gear back home after the skiing.

This coming January, we have an itinerary mapped out that takes us into West Honshu and down to Kyushu for a bit, then back to Tokyo for a quick trip to NozawaOnsen and 11 days on snow.

I would love to be able to afford (both in monetary terms and time-wise) a 3 week (or more)touring holiday in Japan. I'd probably try to do a week seeing, then a week skiing, another week seeing, then a final week skiing (at a different resort) and home again.

Question for Bec (the snowwombat). Where in NSW?? Big place, that!

well thanks guys.. i think?!.. we want to do snow first because we arrive a few days earlier than some of our non-skiing mates will be joining us for the socceroos vs japan game on the 12th? of feb..

But you made a very valid point that it is a long time in the country for only a week on the snow.. no doubt we will fall in love with the pow pow and cancel the last week of touring for a week skiing somewhere else..

We were hoping to use the takkyubin to get our gear to the airport after our ski leg - so that it would be waiting for us when we fly back to oz.. thanks to Mamabear's advice..

My poor board, boots and bindings are well worn from a canadian season, I suppose i was just thinking they wouldn't fare well in japan.. but perhaps that is reason to buy all new stuff in the summer sales here!!..

Thanks all for your advice.. I better start researching and booking huh?...

Ta, Beck

p.s. JA - I'm currently working in Port Macquarie (but fly in-fly out from Sydney) - I would be interested to see your itinerary, to get some travel ideas!..

NO!!!!!!!!!!

Don't buy new gear in Australia! Are you mad?! Tokyo is awesome shopping for snow gear. Range, competetive, loads and loads more choice.

Buy in Japan. (athough with the dollar - yen issue the prices will not be AS competitive anymore I suppose).

I wish we had bought more when we were in Tokyo. I wish I had bought less in Aus.

SnoWombat - also live and work in port... how about that!

Doing my first japan trip in january, leaving 17th.

will be skiing (and a mate boarding) hakuba for 2 weeks.

I bought all my own gear as I plan on frequent ski trips, and I am v tall and big feet so figured I may have some dramas finding decent ski hire in japan.

Being your first trip you are going to have a blast!!!

We are staying at Niseko again this season and the boys in our group are planning day trips to Rusutsu- Furano and some other secret local ski resort. Niseko is sorta handy to everything and is a nice introduction to your first trip to Japan. Niseko is as expensive as you want to make it.

There is a great range of ski gear in Japan the only slight problem we had was with sizing especially boots and bindings (maybe different in Toyko). Definately either buy yourself some new gear or bring your own, don't bother hiring when you are going to be here that long.

Big Tip we always do the big cities at the beginning of our trips as who wants to go to a bustling city after weeks of tranquility in a snow covered country side. It is always nice to have that as my lasting memory of our trip smile

wombat & familia,

Hi, We (+1, me and another couple we've been mates with for ages) leave GC 6 Jan, into Osaka and overnight. Then, travel to Miyajima stay overnight there, visit Hiroshima the next day and then down to Beppu for a couple of nights (trip to the "hells"), across to Fukuoka via Aso-san. A couple nights in Fukuoka and then up to Tokyo, 2 nights there before heading to NozawaOnsen for 10 days sliding! Then back to Osaka for the flight back home 25th.

We are all two-plankers. the other 3 have been skiing for 25+ years each. I joined them 10 years ago (so I'm a relative newcomer to the sport - just need to fit in as much as I can before the body gives out!) Best part about this trip is that the 2 guys in our group turned 60 last year, so qualify for "olds" discounts on lift tix. dance