Narita to Hakuba transfers and internal flights.....

Hi Guys

wondering if anyone can help me, or point me in the right direction...

1. We (4 of us) arrive into Narita on 26/12/08 at approx 7:30pm and want to try and go straight to Hakuba. i am led to believe that we wont make it by train as it just cant be done that late in the day. Does anyone know of any companies that offer airport transfers at a reasonable price? so far we can get it done for 14000yen per head but this seems a bit high

2. We need to book return flights between Narita and Niseko Chitose. Which airlines/websites should we be looking to book some cheap flights?

cheers

Hi as far as I know I don't think there are any companies that do transfers as such. There is basically bus train or taxi.

You probably need to stay over night in tokyo and get the train

or bus the following day.

Check skymark their website seems to be in English

I wouldn't be surpised if you have to pay full price tho.

By the way its Sapporo Chitose you have to take a long bus ride

from Sapporo to Niseko.

I think there are 3 flights from Narita to Shin Chitose (Sapporo). You would need a miracle to get on one of those flights.

There are 60 odd flights daily from Haneda to Shin Chitose. That would be a better bet. Air Do. <--- cool name.

The bus ride fro airport to Niseko is only 2.5 hours with a toilet break. Don't drink too much beer.

A miracle would be right.

Even booking months and months and months in advance those direct Narita - Sapporo Shin-Chistose were GONE for the 07/08 season. You might be fortunate enough to pick up a seat due to a cancellation (as there are a few of those going on at the moment unfortunately) - but you would be lucky.

Last shinkansen (bullet train) for Nagano leaves Tokyo Station at 2204 on a Friday night. If you know your way around Tokyo Station, and you're not packing too much gear, you can easily make the connection in 15 minutes; if you have lots of gear and don't know the station, I'd say allow at least 30 mins. That means arriving Tokyo NLT 2135, but let's say you're really fast and can make the transfer by arriving Tokyo at 2147 on the Narita Express 50, leaving the airport at 2053. That gives you roughly 80 minutes to get through immigration/baggage/customs, buy train tickets and get to the platform (and assumes your flight arrives right on time, or even early).

I'm not going to call it impossible, but damn near. So...

Your simplest move is going to be to take an overnight train.

Narita Express 52 from the airport at 2143, arrive Shinjuku at 2249.

From Shinjuku at 2354 you catch the Moonlight Shinshu 81, arriving Hakuba at 0536 the following morning.

A bit more than two hours at the airport is reasonably safe, and an hour at Shinjuku Station will give you time to grab some food for the train ride. I've never taken that train, so no idea how comfortable it is/isn't, but guessing from the name it may be not too bad.

Your other choice is car rental. With a navigation unit and the phone number of your lodging, it wouldn't be too difficult. But you'd be looking at a drive of five to six hours minimum (more likely eight).

Frankly, the smart money says get a hotel near Tokyo Station for a good night's sleep, then hop the bullet train the next morning. You can be skiing by noon.

I think Chuo Taxi is 12,000 a head from Narita to anywhere in Hakuba, but if you've actually used that service, there is no way you would say it is overpriced. You get the royal treatment, a big comfy minibus quite possibly just for the four of you. The driver will stop whenever you like for the toilet etc.

For a new arrival in Japan with loads of gear, Tokyo Station can be a bit chaotic. Using the train won't save you very much money either.