I saw that Nozawa has opened up more terrain, the Yamabiko area of the mountain. Tomamu has opened up the bowl and the trees (finally!! – should be stopping there over Xmas NYs if plans go accordingly). They still have their heli op and Cat tours as well. Which means I imagine that skinning into the backcountry should be open (???). Does anybody know of other resorts who are opening up more terrain for powder hounds?

as far as I know, its the very top part of the mountain up in the trees.

Tomamu has been opening up little by little - it sees the necessity to be able to compete with other resorts up there. I dont know what their policy is bout hiking outta bounds, but if the bowls and trees are opened up then I would assume it is just "your own responsibility and if you have to be rescued you will be paying out the asssssssss." Many resorts now are using 自己責任 on many signs when youre leaving resort boundaries.

I guess we are talking Nozawa Onsen? I had heard that there is also a place (not sure if skijo or not) called just plain Nozawa. Excuse the ignorance of a gaijin trying desperately to learn the language/customs etc.

banner

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Tomamu has been opening up little by little - it sees the necessity to be able to compete with other resorts up there. I dont know what their policy is bout hiking outta bounds, but if the bowls and trees are opened up then I would assume it is just "your own responsibility and if you have to be rescued you will be paying out the asssssssss." Many resorts now are using 自己責任 on many signs when youre leaving resort boundaries.

The last time I was there, the center bowl/trees was open and the "under 7" trees over on the right side were open, but you had to sign a waiver at the ski center, carry a keitai, have a helmet, and wear a yellow vest that they provided. I didn't see any prohibitive signage up top, nor did I see a lot of patrolling of the out-of-bounds boundary area, or the special-use areas.

I would like to see them reopen the stuff over toward the old #1 lift by the JR station.

As for Nozawa, the trees up there have never been officially open, though people do be naughty. If they are opening them a bit more that would be good.