Hi I just found this forum so please forgive me if this has been asked 200 times already!

We are looking at doing a season in Japan for the 09/10 season-we don't really know where to start! Can anyone recommend resorts? We want somewhere not too busy, but that gets loads of snow, with lots of back country. (we are not really into groomers)

I've been looking at the northern resorts as they seem to get the best snow, but there are so many

We need somewhere that hires non Japanese speaking staff-so far Niseko seems to be the only place? We will have working holiday visas, and are from Canada, and NZ

Can anyone tell me what the average wage for a snowboard instructor is? or the average wage for general random jobs-lift operators etc...?

Also wanting to know where to look for somewhere to live, and how much it costs per month (we would need a place of our own rather than shared as we have a 2yo son) so how much for say a small 1 bed apartment? Have been trying to find a website for rentals in Niseko but everything that comes up is for holiday rentals which is not what we are after.

Thanks!

Hi Thatsyou, and welcome!

You're right. Most of what you asked has been covered, and a few searches here will reap plenty of rewards.

Good fun posting though, isn't it? Proves you still exist. No mean feat in this modern world gone crazy.

Thanks, I have spent the last 2 hours using the 'search' function, and have yet to reap any rewards unfortunately.

Would be great if someone could bump a thread for me if they know of one, or point me in the right direction. I've tried all types of combinations like 'long-term accommodation' 'pay rate', where to live in Niseko' etc... with no luck

A lot of the info you are asking for in on this site but not in the forums. Check out the tabs across the top of the page (navigates away from the forums). .

Recommending resorts, and snowfall stats - click on the resorts tab at the top of the page. Search these forums as to which are best for backcountry, least crowded etc

There has been some stuff on the forums about accomodation but it might be more difficult to find. Basically - it's not financially viable to rent an apartment short-term in Japan as the start up costs are equivalent to several months rent. Your best bet would be to rent a room in a hostel type place, lots of then are pretty nice and I've had no problem staying with my under 2 year old. You'll probably also have lots of other lodgers (babysitters) cooing over how cute he is so you will even be able to take a shower in peace! Check out the places to stay tab at the top of the page and look under hostel/lodge/backpackers.

Non-Japanese speaking will limit your options but keep your serach open. There are loads of resorts outside "the North". Think about contacting hostels and places too to see if they are hiring. There are quite a few run by ex-pats so language might be less of a problem.

No idea about snow salaries. Some others will be able to help you out there.

Originally Posted By: thatsme

We are looking at doing a season in Japan for the 09/10 season-we don't really know where to start! Can anyone recommend resorts?

Only skied on the northern island of Hokkaido. This will be my third winter ski instructing in the Niseko Resort Area, based out of Grand Hirafu. First time I've ever done three seasons in the same resort. Enough said.

We want somewhere not too busy, but that gets loads of snow, with lots of back country. (we are not really into groomers). I've been looking at the northern resorts as they seem to get the best snow, but there are so many

You have to make a choice. Got to the more developed resorts (Niseko) and you can make a living instructing in the English language medium or go to a 'hidden gem' and be skint.

We need somewhere that hires non Japanese speaking staff-so far Niseko seems to be the only place? We will have working holiday visas, and are from Canada, and NZ

Can anyone tell me what the average wage for a snowboard instructor is? or the average wage for general random jobs-lift operators etc...?

Hourly rate in year one for a CSIA Level 2, CAA Level 1 (that would be) was JPY 1,900 per hour. Second winter I went up to JPY 2,100 as my base with the opportunity to earn another JPY 1,400 for request privates (JPY 3,500 per hour total). More work than you can shake a stick at.

Also wanting to know where to look for somewhere to live, and how much it costs per month (we would need a place of our own rather than shared as we have a 2yo son) so how much for say a small 1 bed apartment? Have been trying to find a website for rentals in Niseko but everything that comes up is for holiday rentals which is not what we are after.

The snowsports schools in this area provide accommodation ranging from the unacceptable to very good. If you applied early enough and explained your circumstances, a good company will take care of getting you a 1-2 bedroom house/cabin for the duration of your contract. Expect to pay JPY 80 - 100,000 per month for something like that in the Niseko Resort Area.

Thanks everyone, I guess we need to find work that has accommodation included then huh. Hopefully we can as it would be great to be able to spend the whole season there rather than just a holiday.

I think we will have to look at a more developed resort too, or at least base ourselves at one.

Thanks again for your help.