You're right JA, the whole "who owns who" thing is very interesting. Sometimes it can make one believe that there are actually "illuminati" groups controlling the world's economy... confused

Thursday, up until 01 October 2007, Calpis Co., Ltd. was an independant company. It has since become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ajinomoto Group. Since the nineties, Ajinomoto has held stock in Calpis, but now "owns" them. Interesting. At least it's another food-related group, and not some aerospace company!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone hear about the PRC-grown pesticide-laced frozen green beans at Ito-Yokadou? Mmm... Dichloro-something. Can't be good for you. Yet another case of chemically-tainted produce from the PRC being sold in Japan. You'd figure they would have learned after the green onion incident many years ago.

Consumers want low prices, but they don't want to die.

Can't remember a green onion thing but this one is on the news a lot right now.

"Consumers want low prices, but they don't want to die."

Definitely!!

I think it was 3 or 4 years back (maybe longer... my chronological memory is getting weaker the older I get - maybe it's all the Chinese insecticides I consume on frozen vegetables). It was one of the first cases in Japan of tainted produce from the PRC. It was negi with DDT or some other insecticide on it that has long been banned everywhere else.

Also in the news, JFC International in the USA recalled some dried sengiri daikon (made in the PRC) that had undisclosed sulfates in it. Sulfates aren't a problem in and of themselves - most dried foods (like dried apricots) contain sulfites to preserve color - the problem was disclosure, since people with sulfite allergies could have had issue if they bought and used the product thinking it was sulfite-free.