Anyone here in Tokyo refill their printer toner? I want to cut down on the new office waste and I haven't been able to find any refill packs anywhere. Have an OKI printer but lack of info on refilling around. Just wandering if anyone did as it saves heaps of cash (1man each time for new toner!) and also waste.

I used to do it but have stopped. It seemed to mess up the printers and I've had to replace two printers. They never printed colour well. Also the cartridges seem to wear out so you can't refil them indefinitely. I used to have to buy new cartridges about every 5 refills. Use medical syringes to refill with or without the needle depending on the type of cartridge you are refilling - loads cheaper than the ones they sell for refilling but exactly the same thing. The office stationary catalogues like Askul sell big bottles. Rakuten sells them too. I bought a 160ml bottle of each colour for 3000yen per bottle. I refilled for about 3 or 4 years and only had to buy one new black bottle.

I would recommend doing it if you have two printers. Keep one printer for quality stuff and photos and only use new cartridges and then use the other printer with refills where colour and quality don't matter.

AHH - but the new printers have a chip in the cartridge which keeps an eye on this behaviour and tells you, your computer and the printer that you have voided the warranty by using a pirate cartridge. This is so pervavsive that even with no genuine cartridges that you reinstall the chip from the old one into - it still knows and still presents you with idiot speak about the perils of what you are doing and that you will if you press the button forever voidany warranty that you may have.

We use a cheap small printer - which has just died ( $58 - 3 yrs ago )

that we could buy $5 cartridges for - brand new non gen but no black fingers etc.

I am currently looking at a cheap monochome (black only) laser printer to replace it for the reams of documents that we need to print.

Beware the bubble jet - the replacement cartridges will cost you almost as much (sometimes more?) than the printer itself.

OPTION 3 - hook up with some professional shoplifters.

600817_n1.jpg

costco sell or used to sell IMS ink refill packs.

I have refilled scores of times and saved an absolute mint, printed hundreds of colour photos. nothing wrnog with the quality of the prints, get good paper and set up the print options properly and its brilliant

My printer though is at the end of its life now, the black has gone haywire and the magenta too, its a Canon inkjet and it has been thrashed - I dont know if its just dying anyway or the refills did it but either way its time to upgrade, I am scouting a printer that is easy to refill.

Definitely worth the risk in my book.