Customer service - answering their own questions

I'm currently trying to get a clear response from an airline about hand luggage and what I'm allowed. I want to take my computer case as well as a small rucksack that has my camera and 2 lenses in.

It's proving almost impossible to get a decent response from them - so far 3 responses and each one has been very vague and not answering the very clear question I ask. It's almost as if there is no fixed rule when it comes to exactly what they allow or they are just answering their own imagined question rather than mine.

Very frustrating when 'customer service' is like this.

In practice they bend the rules on check in depending on circumstances. I've got away with all sorts before. Im sure you will be ok with your two bags, though you might have to put them into one single plastic bag in order to satisfy the one bag rule.

I remember last summer my dad was having some problem with his phone (I think) and he was calling a support centre and the guy on the other end was apparently in India and had a really strong accent. My dad couldn't understand him at all, even I had problems when I took over the call. It was driving him round the bend.

The latest news here is that the carry-on luggage is being cracked down upon due to the fuel costs.

Extra weight is extra fuel - and when a suitcase is over weight then the customers tend to stuff it all into carry on bags - I have seen some people LADEN with baggage that they are trying to stuff into the overhead bins...so hence a crackdown by some of the airlines.

Usually they will allow one piece of hand luggage plus a laptop bag/handbag/speclialty camera case. But if they are being really picky then they will insist that you put it all inside one bag that meets the dimensions and weight requirements as per the airline - and believe me - EACH airline is different! Kinda makes it hard to work out what will be allowed doesn't it!?

I called Lufthansa to find out if I could use MMT's car seat on the plane. First phone girl told me no, email said yes, second phone girl said yes but as the rules were always changing she couldn't guarantee that come Christmas when we fly they would still be allowing car seats!

I have a Britax Marathon which is a monster seat but it straps onto my carry on suitcase to make an airport pushchair and he falls asleep in it so easily I want it to make the actual plane journey more comfortable (for both of us). Don't fancy trying to keep him seated without it when the seatbelt sign is on.

Hopefully the rules won't change before then and they'll let me take it.

confused

Originally Posted By: rach
I remember last summer my dad was having some problem with his phone (I think) and he was calling a support centre and the guy on the other end was apparently in India and had a really strong accent. My dad couldn't understand him at all, even I had problems when I took over the call. It was driving him round the bend.

Yeah, a few years ago a lot of companies pulled their UK call centres and relocated to India where its much cheaper to run them, but as youu say Rach understanding them is another thing!!

How long you been away from the UK Rach?

I hate the delay.

You answer the phone and there is nothing but static on the end of the phone. Hello....hello...hello...

I used to hang on for long enough for them to pick up the phone and start thier speal...however nowdays if they don't talk straight away I just hang up. Easier than dealing with the call!

I don't mean cold calling though MB, I'm talking about Customer services, so for example my mobile phone company back in the UK was Three. When I called them for account support etc I actually phoned India. Both people on the phone couldn't understand a word what the other was saying

The lowland accent is just terrible. I concur.

Indian is a story you can tell your grand children. Call centres and software hubs have made the country bi-polar.

Those in the outsourced call centre S/W jobs and the "sophisticated" English speaking industries are fuelling inflation which the other 90% of the peasant population cannot afford.

Big touble in big India coming up.

Any body got India funds? Uh-oh too late.

Me Jane.. Just buy one of those 1500yen strollers at Toys r us. Will be small enough and lightweight enough to let you use it till you board the plane. I honestly wouldn't bother with the childseat and they would probably end up weighing it and using it as part of his allowance. (even though he's probably paying full fare and weighs 1/10th of most paying passengers!)