I've already booked and paid for my tickets so it's too late for me, but this offer looks really good for anyone planning on going to the UK this Christmas.

From the BA website:

Earlybird Winter Special Offer

Travel to London/Europe this winter and save with our earlybird offer in World Traveller economy class from Tokyo, starting from as low as JPY50,000. This price includes a free side trip to one of 49 destinations in the UK and Europe from London, including Paris, Rome or Barcelona. You can stopover in London on your way to your destination for no extra charge.

Book by 15 August 2008. The seats for this offer are limited, so book early and save money.

I won't put the link in here but you should be able to find it by going to the BA site. If not, PM me.

Wish I'd seen it a few days ago! I'm paying 7 man with Lufthansa (booked online on Lufthansa's own site) which by the time you have added all the taxes works out to be 13ish man. So the BA link above would be 11man ish total, but direct with a trip to Europe if you want.

Direct with airlines seems to be the way to go rather than the "discount" travel agents and their fuel charges this year. Lufthansa told me that the price is fixed and if it goes up or down I won't be getting any refunds of have to pay any more.

Just checked it, 50k for the flight itself from Narita into Edinburgh, but the taxes and add ons are more than the flight, and added 63k, which at 113k isn't bad at all. It just bugs me when you see the fare then by the time you get to the payment step, the price has doubled. Blood sucking mofo's!! That said I am seriously considering doing it, even flying with BA won't put me off

The total with Lufthansa is 128,380 (to Heathrow). There are 4 of us (5 including MMT) flying to Germany on the 18th Dec and then people are going seperate ways from there (Manchester, Dublin & Heathrow). 3 of us are coming back on the 6th Jan and one girl earlier. Anyway if the dates suit you and you want to pay the extra man for the (great Welsh) company and the all important vid on demand seatback TV let me know and I'll give you our seat numbers. We booked through the Lufthansa site, outbound LH711 and return LH714.

That sounds like a good deal. There's too much snow around here to make Christmas trips home a goer though so we'll probably go in October on KLM. They let you book open jaw via their website, which is good if you want to visit two lots of family and friends in different places. You can even fly KLM one way and Air France the other, which really opens up the possible destinations.

I think it was five years ago, but we paid less than 80,000 ret for a direct flight on Virgin in July at two days notice when my nana died. I think that would cost close to double now.

My missus said there was something on tv about moves to make travel agents include the fuel cost in the advertised fare. It may only apply to packages though.