I was wondering (generally, not specifically) where the best places for gear rental were at Japanese resort areas?

Is it best to wait until you get to a resort and rent there, or are there places outside that offer better deals etc?

I'm sure it also depends on the place, but whats the general scene?

Cheers!

Yes techno it really depends.

But some big resorts have some really good rental gear - but you may pay more than places a bit further out. There are usually lots of those dotted about in the neighbourhood. Some accommodations also have rental, but they might be older stuff.

My experience of rentals in Japan - Well - in quite a few places is that -

1. If you have feet bigger than EU44 you are likely to have probs getting anything.

2. The range of gear is wide - from stuff that was old when I was a kid to the very latest - but none of it is very cheap.

3. If you get old stuff then you might as well get into a sports barn and buy cheap gear, even if you only use it for a week you will be in front - or not far behind.

Of course the other benefit of having your own gear is that you don't have to muck around picking up and returning gear and ....

If you buy good 2nd hand stuff there often arises an opportunity to sell it just b4 you leave for a small profit / loss making your snow activities very ecconomical.

For young kids - you can't beat the deals in japanese supermarkets (jusco, aeon etc) - skis, poles and boots for under 20,000 yen - up to about 145cm skis, and 25cm boots. Kid's snow clothes are quite respectable and under 10,000 yen for reasonably stylish and functional outfits.

We found a little shop in Goryu (Escal Plaza) last Xmas that had some great deals - mainly end of line stuff but at really good prices, but I would noy rely on it.

Most of the resorts that Tourist are likely to end up in have some respectable rental and sale shops but the prices seem to vary a lot.

If you put a specific destination in your question there are plenty of ppl here who will share fairly specific information with you.