Swimming Pool regulations around the world..

Morning!

I was wondering this morning what kind of fencing and other regulations exist around the world regarding home swimming pools. We have some pretty tough fencing laws, and inspections here in Aus and there was an article yesterday on the ABC news page re: increasing toddlers deaths. I had my say in the comments section (and got slammed mind you!)and it got me thinking about how other countries deal with the issue.

Some posters were saying that swimming lessons were a waste of time, only supervision or people with kids being barred from owning pools was satisfactory. Others were adamant that swimming lessons was the ONLY way to prevent a drowing. I chimed in with the combined approach WE use - Swimming lessons, making sure all family members can not only swim, but rescue as well. Supervision as a paramount, however using supplementary tools can greatly assist where there is an inevitable inperfection in that supervision. Such as surface tension alarms for when the pool is not in use, and wet bracelet alarms for non-swimming children while the pool is in use (such as at a party). We use all of these methods, and also employ a life guard for large parties (I am talking LARGE parties with dozens of people in the pool - it is a big pool). There was a response to this said it was ridiculous - supervision and teaching your kids to swim was the only appropriate action and that people don't have the money to spend on alarms etc - ridiculous! Teach your kids to swim!!!

Unfortunately the comments were closed by then, and I could not respond. My kids can all swim and can all rescue...I bought the alarms to keep visitors kids safe - it is amazing how often visitors take thier eyes of thier own kids! I know we go a bit over the top, but I would so much rather do that than have a kid drown!

What are the reg's like elsewhere? Is childhood drowning as big an issue outside of Australia? Does anyone have a pool, and if you do...do you have an action plan or some other system in place to protect yourself?

Used to have on Mama, but spent Waaay too much time cleaning it and not enough time swimming in it!

Seeme to me (as the nominated pool cleaner ofthe family) that every b****y tree for miles around sent their leaf litter to my pool for swimming/sogging lessons. I was so pleased when the house was sold and I moved (minus family, as it happens, too) into a place sans pool.

Far rather use the public pool, where someone else is paid to do the worrying about safety, cleaning the pool and mowing the grass around it.

My2c

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

We use all of these methods, and also employ a life guard for large parties (I am talking LARGE parties with dozens of people in the pool - it is a big pool).

we need pictures...

....of the lifeguard? LOL!

We have used a couple of different people - mainly 17 & 18 yr olds at my kids school who are Surf Life Saving cadets and have a current Bronze Medallion. Really it is more about having a pair of eyes PAID to watch the pool (and they need swapping regularly to make sure they are focussed). I really used to get stressed when I was organising the dessert and clearing dirty plates yet had one eye on the pool.

I recall once in our last home working in the kitchen upstairs and noticing the behaviour of my 5 yr old niece - she was ripping off her clothes with a wild excited look in her eye. Hubbies back was to her - he was in the pool with 3 kids already - her mother was inside getting into bathers, and her aunt and Nanna who had been charged with her care were deep in conversation thier legs dangling in the pool. I could see it about to happen so I ran down the stairs to the back door just in time to see her go into and under the water. I called out to hubby - H****** is in the water behind you near the edge - by the time he had spung around a grabbed her out I was inside the pool fence with a towel to put around her. No harm done...but it was incidents like this when hubby and I were both doing all we could, but others were not, that has made us employ lifeguards and safety alarms.

This is not the first kid I have fished out of a pool - but then again I was a lifeguard at Fremantle aquatic in my late teens/early 20's.

If I had a pool, it would have to be indoors, fully heated with double glazed windows all round to keep the poolside warm too!! lol.gif

When I was in Oz, I stayed with my aunty and she had a pool. No fence around it though. Quality!! No fence=running dive bombs!! \:\)

I have never been brought up with private pools so safety worries are not apparent to me.

Quote:
If I had a pool, it would have to be indoors, fully heated with double glazed windows all round to keep the poolside warm too!!

Good thinking that.

I seem to recall that there are laws in the States requiring a certain level of fencing around a private swimming pool. These regulations probably vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Considering how litigious a society America has, most pool owners are very responsible about erecting effective barriers - one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a lawsuit if some uninvited neighborhood kid goes and trespasses into your private property and goes and drowns in your pool!