No, it doesn't affect Japanese functionality me jane. I have Vista on English (free language pack) and also this Language Pack for Office 07 (which costs money) which makes all that in English too. But all the Japanese stuff is there too, it's just the menus etc that get changed.

It is not a link

Go to control panel, then "check for updates"

When you get the updates list, you should see lots of language packs listed. Choose English and go from there!

Thanks KevK, I think you are talking about the MUI language pack. I only have Vista home premium so need the LIP. The LIPs don't seem to come up automatically through windows update.

Right, figured it out. LIP's are only for minority language skins on English OSs. To get English lang skins on a Japanese PC I'd need to upgrade to Vista Ultimate and then download the MUI.

Time to go find my lovely Boss...

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
Thanks for that. Alternatively, you can go to Open Office and get the entire suite of Microsoft compatible software for free.

Or try Google Docs.

It has Word, Excel and Powerpoint available, with the added bonus that you can edit/view your docs from any PC with a net connection! Also good for collaboration. I like it a lot.