> [the director] says the shrine symbolizes a "disease of the spirit".

Sounds about right. I was thinking about visiting the Shrine myself, last time I was in Tokyo but we decided that would be a bit of a downer and did something a little more fun instead. Anyway, I'd like to see the film.

Hasn't it been banned by some cinemas?? I saw something on tv about that, they were making a big hoo haa about it.

I've been to Yasukuni, I went on New Years day no less and the anti foreigner brigade were out in force!! Its actually a pretty cool shrine, I wanted to go into the war museum too but didn't, can't recall why.

Eh....no....it was probably to do with the entrance fee. I vaguely recall thinking that I thought it was free, so was all set for going in, but in actual fact you get upstairs and there is a ticket booth. Also I was having fun watching the old ring wing mob shouting...mostly at me!! lol.gif

Aside from the fact that there are class A war criminals enshrined there, it seems like some in the mainstream want it to be a legitimate war memorial, like Koizumi, who officially 'prayed for peace' there (or something like that). I think there's a lot more to it and I could almost entertain an argument as to the symbolic importance of the Shrine. But with right wing uyoku and politicians squashing any dialogue by shouting overtop or using more subtle means, the argument just doesn't fly. Not to mention, Hirohito, himself -the wartime emporer- stopped visiting the shrine because he found it too distressful. I think that's a pretty powerful statement. It's a disease.