Hi,

I'm just starting to look at a trip to Japan next winter w/ a combination of sightseeing and skiing. The ski area that piqued my interest is Nozawa Onsen. But, as I'm a tele skier, and don't want to carry my gear around for the sightseeing part, I wanted to make sure I could rent tele gear there. If not, could I rent it in Nagano on my way there?

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 months later...

My research popped a place called Shirakaba.

Can anyone confirm that it is in Nozawa Onsen and that they do in fact rent tele gear? Any other info - cost, contact info (I saw the phoen numbers, but is there email?) - would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

cohiker, yup, they have rental tele skis, but judging from the pic I dont know how good they are. What size is your foot. Up to bout a 10 you dont run into too many problems, but above that (at least in past experience and from other foreigners asking on here) you could run into a problem or they might only have a pair each at much bigger sizes.

Hey, Tom!

You could always use a Takkyubin company to take your gear from airport (on arrival) to your accommodation while you trip around sight-seeing. Look for the black cat symbol at the airport and pay at the time, no need to book.

We did that last January to Furano, and will do the same next January to Nozawa Onsen.

We want you!

We want you!

We want you as a new recruit!

It's perfect! We'll call it 'Dance Force'! Snow glistening in the light of the disco ball, two inch platform tele-army boots... heck, the music system's already there!

Do you have an agent, co hiker? I've been around the game a bit. This could launch you. It's gonna be big, I can feel it!

Thanks for that idea. I wasn't sure if those companies delivered outside the main cities, but now that I know it's possible, it seems like the way to go - and I won't have to get used to different skis...