Im going skiing in niseko for a few weeks and planning on bringing along my camera and laptop. both devices are rated at 100-240v 50-60hz. The camera has a 2 pin aussie plug so it fits fine with my jap to aus converter.

However my laptop has a three pin plug (bottom pin being ground) which will not work in any jap power converter i have ever seen as they are all just recieve aussie two plugs.

see the picture below.

9312794060605.jpg

Anyone know how i can get this working properly in niseko?

My advice would be the following.

Buy a cheap powerboard and cut off the earth pin, (the long vertical one). It is there to protect you from electric shock if the device fails. The powersupply in Japan is only 100 volts, much lower and safer than Aus which is 240 volts. Therefore it's much safer and doesn't require earthing (an earth pin)

Even devices in Australia that are 99% plastic don't have earth pins as the risk of electric shock is very low.

Also check out this thread for discussions about these adaptors. There is a link there in my thread to one that will do the job for you.

Finding a power adaptor in Niseko

Also worth knowing. I bought a power adaptor in Akihabara, just a random one of the many stores that sold them in the district, that is a multi adaptor. It has fold out pins for the country you are in - either round or flat - and the bit that you plug your own device into pretty much recieved ANY type of plug, loads of holes! It worked great as well.

I had the same problem for my laptop. We managed to find a multi adaptor like MB. It can handle 3 pronged aussie plugs. They are more expensive though (I think $20 or $30).

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Why not buy a UK -> JPN plug when you arrive in Japan?

All UK plugs, except from shavers, are based around the three pin.

I don't think that will help him, given that the devices he wants to use will have an AUS male 3 pin plug, completely different to a UK plug.