off topic alert**

They target fresh grads because A) they're graduates, B) they're eager to travel, C)they can travel, without family ties.

The Jet Programme sends out a survey to all of their recruits asking why they are interested in coming to Japan. Not 30% of those hired choose "teaching" as their primary objective. International work experience, cultural diversity, travel, etc are all selected as reasons for coming before admitting they would like to teach. The Jet Programme is well aware of the motives of those they hire, and they're fine with it.

I highly doubt the Japanese advocate keeping the Jet Programme for reasons of "inter-breeding." That doesn't sound like any voice in Japanese politics I have ever heard, even the Japanese Health Minister, Yanagisawa, who was asked to resign after his "Women are Baby-making machines" comment while under Abe's rule.

And, waste of money is just a matter of opinion. I have read articles written by JETs in the Daily Yomiyuri that labeled themselves as window-dressing. So yeah, those who can't find it in themselves to motivate, are probably a waste of money in any field.

I'm not a JET, and I won't argue my other opinion regarding whether they're necessary for English Education or not. Technology will have more of an influence on that than anyone's opinion.

OK. coming from a position of ignorance here, but...could it be that because Japan was so isolated from the outside world back then that it was started exactly for that reason - to expose the students to 'outside' cultures and language.

I know that our school teaches our boys about other cultures, and they have people from those other cultures coming in and teaching those classes. Tibetan Monks have come and made sand mandala's in the chapel, a group of Italian women from the local Italian club came in and fed the kids thier cooking and taught them some Italian while they did it. LOTE (Language Other than English) is a compulsory part of the curiculum. etc etc. But we also have a Melting Pot of cultures around us in our community.

So...is JET (or the principle of it anyway) really a COMPLETE waste of money, is it not serving SOME purpose? The more diversity children are exposed to, and the more they learn about other cultures the less they fear. The less they fear, and the less ignorant - the more people seem to get along with each other. Just have a look at these terrorists world over - they are normally people who have a very narrow view of the world and are very unaccepting of difference.

My boys have learnt a lot more than language from thier Japanese lessons and exchanges. And I think the Japanese boys we have hosted in our home have also learnt more than English while they have been here.

Just an outsiders perspective..

Originally Posted By: farquah
back on topic:

index_04.gif

haha quality!! lol.gif

I especially like the "arch enemy" part!!! lol.gif

It does bother me though that this attitude exists. I knew it did before I came back but it all gets on top of you at times. I was at an Izekaya last weekend, where the waiter started mouthing off at us about not speaking proper Japanese and also that we weren't to talk to any1 (meaning girls) in the place. Obviously he got told where to go and in perfect Japanese (not from me tho) after which he was VERY subserviant!! It just bugs me that they have this view of all foreigners. Although Scotland (and the rest of the UK) isn't perhaps the Enthnically sound Utopia I'd like it to be, we would never tell people not to do something because they were, for example, "Japanese".