I received a head cam setup to play with. I mounted it to my goggles and went for a ride today. Worked pretty good a little long and boring vid but neat. riding is on Whistler.

i think this thing was built for Japanese trees.

vio_web.jpg

Originally Posted By: warhawk
awesome stuff. beats trying to hold a digicam steady with one hand! clap.gif

Depend on the user.

My mate took a top of the line helmet cam over last last season. About 99% of the footage was unusable. Luckily I backed it up with my $300 digicam. I stapped it to my glove and learnt to shoot while riding. The camera was constantly being smashed with snow. sometimes my hand with the camera strapped on was trailing in the pow.

Mantas, I'm definitely gonna give it a go next time. I might try a top of the shoulder thing if the hand doesnt work out. I'm only riding in one direction atm so it might be ok. Did you have your cam strapped to your trailing arm, or were you riding switch?

Originally Posted By: warhawk
Mantas, I'm definitely gonna give it a go next time. I might try a top of the shoulder thing if the hand doesnt work out. I'm only riding in one direction atm so it might be ok. Did you have your cam strapped to your trailing arm, or were you riding switch?

I had it strapped (just the strap provided) on my trailing hand, which was fine because I'm left handed and I ride goofy (right foot forward). It actually died 3 times, I'd have to shake all snow out of it after each run. I wouldn't recommend it with a good cam.
I had surprisingly good control of it with my gloved thumb. When you want to shoot, you flip the screen out with your thumb hold it up and out in front of you, keep the subject in the centre of the screen, finish the shot, flip it back in again and bust up some pow yourself.

Honestly, you would be surprised how easy it is and how good quality of footage is too. It blew my mates helmet cam footage away.

probably not the best example of using a hand held cam. I did get some other really good footage with it. Like I said, My mate didn't use his helmet cam very well.

Ultimately a combination of both would work best IMO.