Hello everyone,

I'll be around Tokyo for new year eve, n wish to go skiing for one day, on 29 or 30 of december... (with friends)

(who knows, if fare is ok, why not two days?)

Could you help me find out the easiest n nicest place close to tokyo?

Except some nice extra trip (Jigokudani's monkeys, Matsumoto Castle - but closed, ...), we don't plan to sleep around there, but stay at hotel in Tokyo.

I'm snowboarding, my frds do ski...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bastien

easiest and fastest is probably Gala Yuzawa with the shinkansen (1 hour from Ueno station + trainstation in the same building as the gondola). This is the most convenient 1 day-trip from tokyo. There are also several other resorts around Yuzawa (see http://www.snowjapan.com).

If you have a car and want to be back in tokyo at night you can try other resorts like Hakuba or Nozawa Onsen (4 - 5 hours one-way)

(4 - 5 hours one-way) yeech! Go to Yuzawa. Hakuba and Nozawa are good if you're going for a couple of days otherwise, from Tokyo on a one day trip, Yuzawa is the best option. Grab a shink from Tokyo station at around 7 am and you'll be on the snow witin 2 hrs. It only takes about 1hr 30min to get there so if you can't get a seat, no worries standing for that long isn't going to kill you. when you're done, grab a couple of beers at the station, jump back on and you're back in TY ready for a night at the Pong by 8pm.

Yeah, the Yuzawa area is best for getting to and from Tokyo. As Sanno says, Gala has its own Shink stop (but get on at Tokyo, not Ueno, you are more likely to get a seat ;\) ) Also Kagura is only a 20 minute bus ride from Echigo Yuzawa station and that is a pretty good place, linked up with Tashiro and Naeba so plenty to choose from

Ok,

Thanks for your replies.

I checked about it n it looks really good.

Don't wanna go for hours of transport, just for a nice day of riding/skiing so Gala Yuzawa is what i'm looking for.

Just a question, i'm pretty tall, n read that i should call to rent big size equipment (shoes, 29.5cm, board 163+large). Do you know if this could be available over there or if i'd better call, can they speak english (my japanese is very little, hard for me to talk on the phone)???

Thanks again to all of u ;\)