entertaining people in NAMBA

We have to take out a couple of visiting teachers from Taiwan and Korea in Osaka. Any suggestions for a nice izakaya/restaurant??? Everyone's staying in the Namba area, so that would be most convenient. \:\)

I like Bar Zerro for some reason. It has a good balance of trashiness and general good vibes to make it interesting. Club Pure down the block is a bit too much for me, but if you're into alcohol destruction, it works.

Anyway, for izakayas/restaurants, you're spoilt for choice. Maybe look at what's available on the Dotonbori river. If you want lunch, try the Thai lunch buffet on Dontonbori for 980 yen.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Fugu, at the restaurants next to the canal is pretty bland. Don't recommend those.

What are you talking about? There's some great Japanese restaurants down there. Kinryu ramen, Kani Doraku, Cui-adore. It's the center of Osaka soul food.
why would they be pining for Japanese food? Visit Japan, eat Thai food, sounds most logical. They'd probably go to Bangkok and have Japanese food.

True. I just think it's the best value for money down that way. You're not going to do too well in that area finding good Japanese food for under 1000 yen. Likewise, why would you come to Japan and go to a gaijin bar?
No no, take the weight off my feet. I suppose an izakaya would be a nice enough place.

Well, if they want a real hardcore local experience, take them down to Nishi-nari or Tsutenkaku and get tanked drinking 100-yen atsukan at the oden stands with the day labourers. When they're stupefied, head up to the local red-light district at Tobita or go to Tennoji Park and get more trashed singing enka with the local drunks and nutters. You won't see too many foreigners wandering around with Lonely Planet guides.