I was hoping to get some specific info on travel time from Matsumoto to the Hakuba area. How long does it take by car, train, and bus?

I was also wondering if there are any decent areas closer to Matsumoto (15-45 mins away). By decent, I'm talking 1000-2000+ ft vert, 250+ inches of snow per year type of places. I guess I'd also be interested to know of any places that are very close (less than 30 mins) that would be good for a morning or evening (night skiing) cruising and/or park session, even if it's only 800 ft and manmade snow.

Thanks so much!

Which Matsumoto are you talking about? If it's Nagano, then it's 50km to drive. Half hour on the expressway or 1 1/2 hours following a farmer in a Suzuki on the main road.

Why don't you use the map and search functions?

yeah its more like 60 from Matsumoto to Hakuba - you have to get of the expressway at Toyoshina and from there its at least 50 mins.

Train is slow and don't reccomend it unless you can get the Azusa express but only a few trains per day.

There are special azusas that run all the way up Hakuba (for rich tokyo types) but they are very infrequent, maybe just on in the morning and one in the evening... The train nerds are always out in force taking photos of them in the snow and mountain scenery \:D

I got the oito line from Matsumoto to Kashimayari (yanaba station) for a whole season.

Was a nice way to travel and that particular resort is the first in the valley and very close to the station. Was a good way to hit the snow without a car, nice resort too as its 2in1 and not too busy, cheap dorm at the top with an onsen too! Journey took just over an 70 mins ish, but watch out for trains that you have

The train is also full of old guy skiiers and highschool kids with thier boards. Got a car this year so I'm probably going to head a bit further up.

If you are going from Matsumoto by car then get out to Toyoshina and take the Olympic Road, a special road that they built for people to get to the snow during the games. The expressway is a good option if you can fill your car but kinda expensive if you are alone. If you get up early the olympic road can be really quick!

As for resorts closer to Matsumoto theres Asahi Prime which is really close. I've never been but I heard that its pretty awful, just 1 small chair lift on a hill I think. You can also head up to Norikura, that place is really nice and not half as busy as Hakuba but the drive is probably a similar distance.

So it looks like we're talking 30 mins-1 hour by car, and 1-1.5 hours by train? Is there a toll for the olympic highway? How good are they with clearing off the roads? When there is a dump, are we talking 1-2 hours, or more like 2-4? Does the traffic get bad?

Thanks for all your help- I'm hoping to get a job in Matsumoto, and will be skiing at Happo 1 and Hakuba 47.