Uh oh, friend of my younger brother going through dating pains:

Quote:
Ok, so I asked out this single girl earlier this year and she accepted my date offer. I’ve always wanted to take this girl out, and I was happy to finally get the opportunity. However, I just recently talked to her about it and she said that our date was now just a “meetup” and not an official date, since she had just become single and didn’t want to rush into anything, despite saying we could go out on a date a few months prior after breaking up with a boyfriend. I was devastated, and I really wanted to do something special for her that would make the both of us have a good time since we both have had a bad year. You know, take her to a nice restaraunt, go ice skating, or whatever. She also told me that she didn’t want to compromise our friendship or anything, and that she wasn’t ready to date yet. Does that mean "I don't want to date you at all now", or does that mean "Let's wait until I'm ready to date?" Now, I’ve been told this “don’t want to compromise our friendship” thing by other girls.

So, is this just an excuse to in the end turn me down? I’ve known her for 15 years, and we are great friends, but isn’t a friendship a great thing to have before a couple starts to date? And, can’t two people go out as friends and not consider it a date? I believe most people would risk losing a friendship with someone in order to date that person, and there’s a great shot that they could still be friends again if the dating thing didn’t work out.

I tried to go out with a really good friend once and that didn't work out either. It was kinda awkward and I felt like we might even end up not even being friends so we both decided to nip that one early before things got spoilt.

Any experiences here good or bad?

Yeah, i don't think you really want to slip into the friends zone, its best to perhaps know them a little, so that you know that they like you but I think thats when to make your move, if you wait too long you end up in the friend zone and that very rarely ends with her being naked in your bed.

This should go here.

My first girlfriend was my classmate Jenny, she of the black hair and green eyes. We had a virginity-loss situation when we were 15. I left home at 16, and that was that.

Big brother Pat took up the slack, and she was his first girlfriend too. They drifted apart. After four marriages and six children between them, yesterday they met up for the first time in 37 years. It seems they spent the day playing bunnies. Looks like it's on. Life's a funny old thing.