Australia targets workshy surfers

Quote:

By Phil Mercer
BBC News, Sydney
Welfare recipients living in some beach areas will be the target of a new crackdown by the Australian government.

Ministers say that some coastal towns have "stubbornly" high unemployment where people refuse to work and choose instead to surf and relax on the beach.

The Australian economy has enjoyed 15 years of strong growth, and unemployment is at a 30-year low.

But ministers are concerned that jobless rates in some seaside towns are way above the national average.

Australia's conservative government has made full employment a key objective ahead of a general election later this year.

One option would be to force people to work for their welfare benefits a lot sooner than they have to at the moment.

Further Education Minister Andrew Robb says changes are needed.
"We've got too many jobs chasing too few people, yet there are still pockets of potential labour around the country," he says.

"We've got areas where there aren't any jobs, and we've got other areas where they're desperate for workers.

"There is a high correlation between high unemployment and coastal areas. We need to put some pressure in some of those areas."
Australia's official unemployment rate is just over 4%.

A chronic skills shortage has left some industries awash with jobs.
The government is recruiting thousands more skilled workers from overseas to plug gaps in the labour market.

Without this army of foreign accountants, health professionals and hairdressers, there are fears that Australia's booming economy could begin to stumble after years of strong growth.

Hairdresers?

You hairdressers surfing too much?

=)

not hairdressers, it's all these people going to Uni & getting worthless "arts" degrees.

Mind you, if they filmed "Point Break 2" & Point Break 3", and did it in Australia, well, they could all be employed as "extras". Don't blame the surfers, blame the government for having the "dole" system.. =)

Are you trying to lay a guilt trip on me thursday or what??

I've just come back from a surf (i really should've been working), hung out my wetsuit, come inside and sneeked a look on SJ and there it was.

Good work thursday! \:\(

So you're giving up that career in erotic dancing then? laugh.gif

So what are your rates for an interpreter/snowboard guide/tour guide/designated driver/story teller/ cultural awareness officer/ board waxer/ first aid officer and beard trimmer??

Originally Posted By: bearshead
Its all about balance.Found that 80%surfing/boarding and 20% work is just about right.(my boss strangely disagrees)
Who designed the 5day work-2day weekend anyway?

a non surfer
 Originally Posted By: Mantas

So what are your rates for an interpreter/snowboard guide/tour guide/designated driver/story teller/ cultural awareness officer/ board waxer/ first aid officer and beard trimmer??

Yes, sadly, I am giving that gig away.

As to your second question. I charge by the minute, and I have a feeling you wouldn't like my rates.
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig
 Originally Posted By: Mantas

Yes, sadly, I am giving that gig away.

As to your second question. I charge by the minute, and I have a feeling you wouldn't like my rates.

See.....this is the problem with Australia. You offer someone a job and they are not interested.
I'll bet your not coming back to help with the skills shortage at all.!! Your only plan is to go surfing.