• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are 3 bus services which do overnight bus runs to Hakuba. Usually leave Osaka stn/Shin Osaka/Kyoto between 9pm and 10pm and get you to Hakuba bout 6am. Price depends on how comfortable you wanna be, 5000-9500yen one way. Also, you can take a Shinkansen to Nagoya and change to a semi-rapid to Matsumoto, then take a local to Hakuba but costs maybe 13,000 one way. I dont have the bus links on this computer but if you do a search on the forums this has been talked about \:\)

One of the overnight buses from Osaka to Hakuba was in a massive crash last year. The driver apparently fell asleep at the wheel and drove straight into a big concrete pillar near Osaka on the way back. The part-timer on board was killed and all 26 passengers ended up in hospital. Like many buses, it was illegally operating with no relief driver.

Regular scheduled bus services operated by JR etc., will probably be better, but for people living in Osaka, I'd stay clear of anything chartered by a travel company. Their rates basically force bus operators into cutting corners.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
The overnight busses are very comfortable. Lots of space with plenty of recline, a bog and drinks. Nothing like anything you've seen in Oz.

not the oneI took. Got one from Yokohama to Naeba, it was only marginally better than the 9 hour drive from Penang to Surat Thani in the back of a converted Hiace van. The Naeba bus had no reclining seats, my legs felt like they were some sort of origami creation and there was a strange "extra" seat that folded down into the aisle so that there wasn't actually an aisle to speak off anymore, I want to avoid that at all costs again!!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are there any day buses from Osaka to Hakuba ?

The night bus sounds horrendous after a long flight from oz.

imho, of course..

I will probably end up taking the train, shin-osaka - nagoya - mutsumoto - hakuba

???

Man, I am doing the same on Feb 13th.

I heard getting the train was best/easiest?

We are buying a 2 week rail pass, so will use that.

I agree kokodoko.

We are flying in as well on Hetstar. 4 Hour Wait melbourne, 4 hour wait in Sydney, thern to Osaka.

I would die If I got an overnight Bus =)

I am thinking about taking both skis and snowboard to japan.

I just rang jetstar and they said that it was ok to have both.

If they are over 20kg I will just have to pay the extra baggage charges. (about $12-15 per kg)

i also rang qantas and they said that you could take a bag and one set of skis/snowboard at a limit of under 20kg. Any additional skibag will be charged extra baggage.

For a supposed superior service, i do not think that is real good.

So i think i will go with jetstar, the cheap crap service. \:\)

But i will be putting my baggage on the hakyubin at the airport fo' sho.

Did you ask Quantas about paying the extra baggage fee BEFORE you get to the airport? This is a flat rate and is cheaper than the per kilo tarriff that they'll charge if you just rock up at the airport

no i didnt ask that.

I know that the jetstar rate is cheaper if you ring beforehand.

I think that qantas and jetstar would be about the same. imho..

i think i will just go with the jetstar and ring my extra baggage through beforehand..

yeah do it with them as well. Phone up the week before you leave and arrange it over the phone. What'll probably happen will be that they will add a note to your booking so when you go to check in they will take your regular luggage and give you a ticket for which you have to go to another counter and actually pay the flat rate, then you take your bag down to outsize baggae and put it on there and its away. Well thats how it worked for me!

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
I am thinking about taking both skis and snowboard to japan.
I just rang jetstar and they said that it was ok to have both.
If they are over 20kg I will just have to pay the extra baggage charges. (about $12-15 per kg)

Is it possible some how to query the price that may be charged in Japan for your return flight home for the excess baggage?

I don't know if its necessarily the same price. My friend recently flew back to Oz on Garuda and here in Japan they wanted to charge him AU$240 for being 5 kilos over. so would hate you to get stung by that leaving here.

BTW I live in Sakai City, Osaka, very close to Kansai airport and have a sofa bed which any friendly Aussies are welcome to crash on before movnig on to the snow... oh and maybe non-Aussies too, lol ;\) if you want to sleep and save some cash for the slopes! I'm not a serial killer \:\)
 Originally Posted By: wisepearl

BTW I live in Sakai City, Osaka, very close to Kansai airport and have a sofa bed which any friendly Aussies are welcome to crash on before movnig on to the snow... oh and maybe non-Aussies too, lol ;\) if you want to sleep and save some cash for the slopes! I'm not a serial killer \:\)

I thought that looked like a really generous kind offer, until I saw the Smiley face after the statement. LOL> That just scares me dude... \:\)

I may hit U up for some advice if you don't mind tho, as I arrive in Feb. (am looking at coming a week earlier now, so i can board for 2 weeks. YAY!)