Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Jeez. She was a total flake. If she'd been wearing a seatbelt instead of sucking Dodi's cock, she'd be alive now.

A world in mourning for a total airhead. Paris Hilton of the 80's.

word!!!!!!!
**** Diana, stupid bint was jetting around humping everyone on my **** tax money!! I would get rid of all those bloodsucking royals, **** them.

I was working as a delivery guy on the day of the funeral, I knocked on this womans door and she came out all teary and said to me...."I didn't think you'd be working today", I like "Why not?" and she said .."cos its Diana's funeral" I was dumbstruck, think I told her to **** off. What a **** bint, get over it, you didn't know the women, you never met her, how can you grieve for someone you donT even **** know???

rant over mad.gif

I think your directing the agro in the wrong direction. She was just a person like us. Trying to be good. She had pain, failure, remorse, regret, success, happiness, just like the rest of us. No better, No worse.

Blame the press and the f@*kwits that buy the papers and keep them in business.

Celebrities.......Why do we put them on a pedistool. Is it because we love to watch them fall?

Yep, I agree with you Mantas. The agro shouldn't be directed at her. She didn't ask for all the adoration and over-analyzing of her every move. She was just a person, and it is the stupid public that fuel the tabloid frenzy who turn this into something more than a tragedy for a family which should be left to rest and not overplayed as a money/ratings spinner.

I also think that the royals shouldn't exist in this day and age.

She played the press to the n'th degree. She chose to be a celebrity, and indulge in high risk behaviour.

There's a good opinion piece in the Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/09/01/do0103.xml

"The absurdities of the cult of Diana, Princess of Wales stem from two main causes. First, in the apparent absence of a satisfactory religion for most of our people, she has become a figure for worship. Ludicrous ideas are voiced of her contribution to humanity, and her memory is treated with more reverence than is normally accorded to a saint.

Second, recognising this hysterical sentiment, some in the media take any excuse to feed it. One American magazine last week stopped only just short of attributing all the good in the world in recent years to the example of the late Princess. It is sometimes difficult to understand what planet these people are on."

ok, so even if she did play up to it and milk it, that quote you gave just backs up what Mantas and I just said. It is the masses and the followers of the "cult" of Diana who feed this frenzy and whip up the hype. She is dead and her memory should be left as is without all the hyperbole in either direction.

totally agree with you Soubs.

Also she was just a person like us? Her lifestyle and that of the royals were mainly funded from Public funds, MY tax money, money that I worked to make, they used for their pissing around.

I agree BP royals shouldn't exist in this day and age. If they wanna go round and call themselves Kings, Queens whatever, then cool, but do it at your own expense. work for your money for a change

Originally Posted By: Bushpig

I also think that the royals shouldn't exist in this day and age.

There's a can of worms, anyone got an opener.

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, since the whole Andrew Johns, depression, drugs thing became news a few days ago. i have a bit of an insight to this guys life through some mutual friends.
The guy had everything, incredible success, money, fame, girls, hero worship, the lot.
What people didn't realize is he had no real life. He used to get around in disguise a lot of the time, dark sunnies, beanie that sort of thing. And the pressure was phenominal.
he couldn't handle it. Because he was just an ORDINARY GUY!
I'm not defending famous people and celebrities, some are complete arseholes. I just question the publics desperate need for hero's all the time/

Put me on that list too Soub. I am a republican. Aus doesn't need that particular set of baggage as our royal family. I just think that what was a tragedy for that family should be given the dignity of staying a nice memory. Not for us, or the masses that gobble up this crap, but for the family. Whether they are deserving of tax-payers money or not, they are still people. Have a little sympathy for those who have lost a loved one.

That whole upper class aristocracy in England is a culture that could not be any further removed from Australian society.

I've been asked many times when I've been over there.

"What do I think about the Royal family" i usually say

"Nothing, I don't think about them at all" What I think doesn't matter. I don't consider them MY royal family.

from any society, they have nothing in common with regular UK people.

Like I said, if they want to have the land and the yachts etc etc and call themselves by fancy titles then fine but do it out of their own pocket, not mine. There is plenty things that the tax money could be spent on in the UK to help improve everyday peoples lives. Its just one giant junket that the royals are on and they have been since time began. Its time to stop this shite

I think the whole thing was overblown after her death in a big points-scoring exercise between politicians, tv, and the papers. It only worked at the time because of a spiritual and cultural vacuum in many peoples' lives. The papers etc. projected Diana as a symbol of good, and that's what people want to believe in. I reckon this vacuum is due to increasing materialism, basically from the UK following the USA's lead away from more "European" thinking.

The land mine and AIDS stuff Diana did was cool. She also managed to stay apolitical with it and did not misrepresent or distort any of the campaigns. You can't say that about Geldof and Bono.

Along with royalty, Britain is still racked with hereditory privilege. About 70% of the land mass is still owned by 0.7% of the population, centered on the royal family and the former occupants of the House of Lords. 1,000 people own 60% of Scotland. A lot of such land is not even registered, so they get their agricultural subsidies without paying any tax. Huge estates pay less tax than a plumber in a 2-bed semi with a big mortgage to pay. I doubt anyone is interested, but its all in "Who Owns Britain?" by Kevin Cahill if you are.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
According to the papers, a nation is in mourning for a dickhead.
Submit your grief here:

Times Columnist Rosemary Righter is on the same page as you Soubs
Why I could not mourn that modern Morgan le Fay

Quote:
How could people put on so, the public traps of mourning for someone who had used royalty as a prop to lend glamour to a sad, self-obsessed, manipulative and, ultimately, self-indulgent life? How could they join in this, to me, ersatz, phoney, lemming-like outpouring of emotion? I still tremble at the possibility of Posh getting a state funeral.

surprise, surprise the that horrible spiteful piece of work Germaine Greer has put the boot in too and deeply, the woman who wrote vicious piece about Steve-o Irwin has a bigger knife to slash, attack and savage Diana with he he he.

Quote:
'slow-witted and neurotic'...."devious moron" ....'desperate woman'...became more "devious" and manipulative as she got older while displaying "disturbingly neurotic behaviour"

jeez Germaine tell us what you really think!wip.gif

p.s Soubs, just a guess but was you ex a big Diana fan? did she have Diana ornamental plate?
wink1.giflaugh2.gif

How does someone like Greer even get her words into print. A self obsessed, egotistical, hairy-legged man hater whos never done a thing for anyone but herself. You may not like Stevo or Diana. But they did more for others in one day than that old crone (or myself) has done in her life.