Computer Management/ Partition ?

Hey PC heads, a question...

I recently installed a 100 gig harddrive in my laptop. I cloned my old 40 gig drive into it via ghost. My old 40 gig drive is now a spare backup, not plugged into my computer.

Now, on my new 100g, my © drive shows a capacity of 33 gigs and there remains 59 gigs of unallocated space. Would allocating that empty space to my © drive speed up my PC? And if so, how do I do it?

I think I only have one partition on my drive. (as my Computer Management Window only shows one partition, as you can see.) Yet when I boot up, I am given an option to choose XP or 2000. (huh?) I never even had 2000.

CaptureActiveWindow-20070812-091318.jpg

Can anyone help me?

Originally Posted By: samurai

Now, on my new 100g, my © drive shows a capacity of 33 gigs and there remains 59 gigs of unallocated space. Would allocating that empty space to my © drive speed up my PC? And if so, how do I do it?

I think I only have one partition on my drive. (as my Computer Management Window only shows one partition, as you can see.) Yet when I boot up, I am given an option to choose XP or 2000. (huh?) I never even had 2000.

merging your partition with unused space will not make your pc run any faster at all.And merging partitions would be tricky without 3rd party software to do that. so just create another primary partion for the rest of the space. use it for storage and then if you need to redo your windows partition your files are backed up on the spare partition.

As for the other issue well looks like the MBR has some unnecessary data, maybe from putting the cloned image back. windows xp and 2000 have the same boot files so when you have a dual boot it doesn`t specify which OS. it sees them as the same family.

to remedy that look in boot.ini , this is a hidden system file at the root of your c drive. to access it by unhiding critical system files from folder options in windows explorer. then crack it open in text editor. if there are duplicate lines just delete them and save. then rehide your system files.

because the manufacturer partitioned in 2. it` normal way to do it for Manufacturers, first partition is usually the boot partition and the second is the windows partition. there is only a technical reason for doing it. it`s really not important to the end user.