Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Just be careful not to confuse calculation speed with intelligence. ;\)

Good point but not "intelligence" as much as "understanding". Knowing the rules doesn't mean you understand why they work - but that's the same for anything. I'm sure there are people who have memorised that 6x8=48 but don't truly understand why. Whatever mathematical formula we are given there will be some people who just memorise it and others who take it apart and make it their own.

Those rules would have been fun to know cos lower school we weren't allowed calculators and once we'd finished the maths on the board we were allowed to play. I wanted to play!! shifty.gif

well either way I'm hopeless at both!! At least i can do simple arithmetic, so money etc is fine, but even playing darts, I would take an age counting the score and what the quickest combo is to finish

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Because the four functions require no conceptual ability. Maths has x in it.

If you couldn't do arithmetic there would be lots of bits with x in that you couldn't do, it's all maths: Number, Space, Geometry, Data, Measurement, Algebra and probably a whole lot more. (IMHO ;\) )

echineko, I can tutor you in a lot of maths. Just give me the numbers.

It's actually all about visualization. I read a book about it when I was like 7 and 2 months. I can do ARITHMETIC by jsut looking at the numbers. NEVER SAY to youself 3 times 3 is 9, that is wasting your time.

• 3 weeks later...

I invented squares of numbers ending in 5s. Actually, I always knew I learned it somewhere, but can't remember where or when. I've known that forever. That was a cool site. Cheers, Mejane.

I remember numbers like mad. The order of them, the displacement of them. I play math games in my head all the time. If I see a phone number or hotel room, or address, I'll cancel it out to zero, or make it equal something else within it's vicinity. In regards to numbers, I'm mildly OC.

When I was like 7, I over-heard my mom give her bank account number over the phone. sometime later (maybe months), she was on the phone again but didn't have access to it. I heard her say she didn't have it. Then, I told her. And when her jaw dropped and questioned me as to why I remembered it, I told her the truth. And that's when I learned it's not normal to remember strings of numbers.

And sadly, with modern technology, we never have to type numbers anymore.

I wish that ease of memory translated to my japanese voacabulary. Then maybe memory would be conducive with intelligence.