tell me about it. I am guted, was supposed to have a rowing regatta tomorrow for a coxed 4`s that we have been training for for since March. Just had a phone call telling me it is now cancelled!! Hate how the slightest bit of rain and they call everything off here, not postpone but just bin the whole thing. Very annoying for the whole team.

i've called off a weekend hiking trip up a pretty gnarly peak up here in the north. didn't like the thought of being halfway up a steep snow gully when the storm hit.

although now things are looking A OK. it better happen or i will be thoroughly pissed.

Originally Posted By: farquah
tell me about it. I am guted, was supposed to have a rowing regatta tomorrow for a coxed 4`s that we have been training for for since March. Just had a phone call telling me it is now cancelled!! Hate how the slightest bit of rain and they call everything off here, not postpone but just bin the whole thing. Very annoying for the whole team.

Farq's, would you expect to do ya rowing in the middle of a hurricane? I doubt it.

I'd rather it hit weekend as then I won't have to do Furikae on my days off.
 Originally Posted By: farquah
Hate how the slightest bit of rain and they call everything off here, not postpone but just bin the whole thing. Very annoying for the whole team.

really I have often noted that they for some things here they never call it off, there was a Temple Matsuri last night near my place that still went ahead despite the rains and the fireworks were let off too.

As for typhoon Man-yi (the internationally designated name for the storm) it was supposed to hit Nara at 6am this morning, I took everything off my balcony and then nadda - zip not a breath of wind and the rains have stopped its clearing up nicely.
Man-yi dropped its guts on Okinawa, Kyushu, Shikoku and had nothing left for Nara

Yeah, it was the same here. It was meant to be battering us right now, but there is no wind, no rain and the sun is burning through the clouds.....c'mon sun!!!

That's right samurai, but I don't fully grasp the physics, so I'm not going to dig too deep. It's always about heat and energy transfer.

We do very well in Yamagata. Not earthquake prone, and the typhoons run up the east or west coasts. Plenty of snow in winter. I like it here.

I was in Kochi for this one. The rain was more remarkable than the wind but all in all it wasn't that bad. Some isolated flooding, mostly in the fields. Things look OK now and the rice, which is now waste high, was not flattened like it was in 2004 when we were hit by a number of typhoons.