Hi all:)

I'm in need of some advice please!

I live in Osaka, want to go to Nagano this week, around Christmas Day. I've never been Ski-ing or Snowboarding before but want to try. There's a couple of problems though, one is that I don't speak enough Japanese to find & book a place to go to including get lessons (although I'm sure I can cope with the lessons in Japanese), the other is that I'm not so good with heights... Actually I refuse to go on a Gondola as it'll scare the crap outta me. Although I think I can manage a chair lift, don't ask why, agorophobia is weird.

Anyway! What I'd like, is to go somewhere like Nagano, but to a place that I don't have to get onto really high up lifts, somewhere fairly low down a mountain.

Yeah I know it sounds kinda stupid me going boarding/ski-ing, but it's something I'd really like to try & I'm sure there are some places around where I don't have to go so high up.

So firstly, can anyone recommend such a 'lower' place to go in Nagano, also please can anyone help get me on the right track to actually booking a trip like this, getting lessons & staying somewhere say 'foreigner friendly'.

Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks!

cool.gif

Hey, Ely, I will be at Karuizawa all next week. Karuizawa is famous for it's unitimidating/boring slopes which makes it ideal for beginners. The are English lessons available and the ski resort is just 10 mins. walk from the train station, so it's real easy access. And if you can find me, I have an extra ski pass for free.

Only snag is I leave early tomorrow morning so you may not be able to reach me but if you are really interested drop me a line soon just in case I can get access to a terminal when I'm in Japan.

Markie,

Many thanks for the info, really helpful indeed:)

Well I've been checking out the Karuizawa Prince hotel with it's package deal, but that sounds a bit pricey especially as you can only book a twin room, & I intend to be alone;) I need some breathing space after this hectic year! So, now I'm trying to find another hotel and I'm even trying to find a phone # to contact a resort, but the -in English web pages I've seen don't seem to have any contact #'s. I'll keep looking.

Many thanks again for your help, and any more from everyone is very welcome wave.gif

It seems a bit odd to go all the way to Nagano for what you're looking for. Nagano has big resorts and good off-course riding for sure - but that's not what you want. There are surely resorts that are closer and cheaper to get to that have suitable slopes. (I can't advise you on places nearer as I've only been to Nagano.)

However if you really want to go to Nagano, Nozawa onsen has a very very long section on skier's left of the mountain that is accessed by lifts only. If you go all the way to the top, it might take you an hour or more to make your way down to the bottom. It's wide, the gradient is quite gentle, and if you choose your day, the snow shouldn't be too hard. You should be able to find accoms from this site. Haus St Anton is often recommended, and they may well be able to help you organize lessons.

Good luck overcoming your phobias. Hopefully you'll soon be riding the gondola with your nose pressed to the glass scoping out potential lines.

Ocean,

Many thanks for the reply, advice:)

I chose Nagano 'cause it's miles away from Osaka;)

Nozawa onsen, hate to say it but from what you said & the reviews on this web, it doesn't sound a good place for me, 'steep' seems to be a key word here. Not good for me unfortunately.

For now Karuizawa is looking good, but any other ideas are greatfully recieved:)

Many thanks again.

Ely, I used to live in Osaka myself (the Zojirushi building near Minamimorimachi) so I understand the desire to get miles away.

Also, as I once learned to ride, I understand the fear of steep, and wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. Nozawa is one of the biggest resorts in Japan and it includes some very good steep stuff. But that long slope I recommended isn't steep at all. You'll also find that barok recommends the same slope for learners - it's quite unusual to find something so ideal...

But Karuizawa may be easier to get to from Osaka.

In addition to the mentioned good advice, I think the other critical must for first timers is NO CROWDS. Nothing like sliders of all skill levels (esp. newbies who think their shyte don't stink)bearing down on ya to elevate the tension. I don't know that area well, but some on here do, so p'raps some goods on the quieter places would be appreciated. Good Luck. Let us know all about it. \:\)