Which rail pass? Im confused

Hiya,

I will be staying in Ikebukuro in Tokyo for 3days in January, then need to get to Nagano, Nozawa Onsen where I will be for 10 days, then back to Ikebukuro for one night before I fly out of Narita.

From what I can gather from different websites, the JR East pass is the rail pass I need?

Will this pass let me check out places around of the Tokyo loop and also let me get up to Nozawa Onsen?

Can anyone please let me know the best thing to do?

Thank you.

Jason

if you only intend to travel up to nozawa and back i think the jr east 4 day pass deal is the best option. it is the cheapest and unlike the other passes which give you a certain number of days after you activate it, this pass gives you 4 separate day passes valid on all trains.

Just on the subject of rail passes. How do they stop people like us (ie. people living in Japan) from just getting one overseas and using it here?

Not that I would ever contemplate doing such a naughty thing of course.

Heres my rough itinerary:

Arrive Narita > Ikebukuro (3nights) > Nozawa Onsen (9 nights) > Somewhere around Tokyo (1 night) > Depart Narita

So if I want to travel around a few places in tokyo for a few days, then catch the shinkansen to Nagano and use the Iiyama line to get to Togari-Nozawa Onsen, maybe spend a day looking around Nagano City, then come back to Tokyo then get to Narita will the JR East 10 day pass should let me do all of this?

If you are just going to Nosawa I dont think you need the 10 day pass to begin with. From Tokyo to Nozawa with the sink and local trains is only 17000 yen rountrip. So you will be paying an other 15000 yen just for short distances in Tokyo.

If you are eligible for the youth 10 day ticket then maybe its cheaper to get the pass.

oh ok, nearly every travel website says i have to apply for the rail pass before come to Japan.

So are you saying that it would be ok for me to just buy the shinkansen tickets when i get there?

If you go to a ticket counter in Japan to buy a ticket, you will most probably hear:

“WE DONT SHELL SHINKASEN TICKETS TO THE LIKES OF YOU AROUND HERE!”

grin.gif

If you are planning to use the sink just once, which is the most expensive train by the way, you don’t need the pass. I guess the travel agencies abroad recommend the pass because it worth’s its money if you plan to use the sink more than 1 time. For example got to Kyoto, Osaka, Nagano,Yamagata, etc all in one trip.

Also its 17000 to Nagano if you get a reserved sit, if you stay in line before you board the train at the Tokyo/Nagano station for the free sit (first come first served), then its only 16200 roundtrip.

If you said that you also wanna go to Yamagata Zao (21200 roundtrip) then the pass wins hands down.

Originally Posted By: kuro
oh ok, nearly every travel website says i have to apply for the rail pass before come to Japan.
So are you saying that it would be ok for me to just buy the shinkansen tickets when i get there?

If you go to the JR East website, it states explicitly that you can buy a railpass on arrival. When I first came and tried that, the lady said I needed to have booked. When I pointed out she was wrong, she immediately sold me the pass.

I'd print out the relevant page and carry it, in case they try to stiff you.