I'm not sure where Hanamaki is, but if it's around the Morioka area, then you have tons of options. For what you described, Hachimantai Forest is by far your best bet. I will be there all weekend myself with a couple of friends. It's lining up to be an epic weekend of skiing/boarding up here in the north. Da big storm is heading our way tonight/tomorrow from what I've seen and the pow is going to be piling up in the mountains! \:D

Let me know your plans and maybe we can hook up for a run or two. I know the area pretty well and when to ski where.

I was up at geto this morning and the trees havent really filled in enough yet but they may well have by the weekend.

I will be there on saturday but have to go to a work thing on Sunday and monday in sendai.

If you are west of hanamaki then you are getting pretty close to geto. It might take 45 mins or less depending on where you are. Hachimantai will possibly take a couple of hours to get to. Its a little way past Appi.

I have never been anywhere in Iwate besides geto but I have heard great things about Hachimantai (forest not resort there are 2).

Let me try this for the third time - Geto is closer to where you are at, but from looking at a map (which keeps killing this message when I try to link it) Hachimantai looks to be about 1.5 hours or less away. I've never been to Geto (too far to drive from Misawa) so can't offer up much on it. Anyway, I'll be at the Forest both Saturday and Sunday. Let me know if that's where you end up going.

It's snowing like a mofo here in Misawa right now. I'm sure the mountains are getting hammered. Bring on the Powder!

edit - just saw your PM - sent you one back

Hey Ray,

yeah, skiing with the club saturday and then a friend and I are staying at the Royal Hachimantai Hotel and skiing there Sunday also. Should be epic this weekend! Hakkoda is going to be a mess with probably no visibility for the next few days (heard yesterday was BEAUTIFUL up there though). We were going to head there on Sunday but decided there isn't much better than two days straight at the Forest.

Let me know if you end up going to the Forest. The MM bus leaves at 6:30am but I think we'll probably leave in our POV around 6am.

So, they gonna kick us off base anytime soon today?? Doubt we'll get enough snow for that to happen today, but it's wishful thinking \:\)

Cool - I'll let you know for sure...I have this discount thing for HF that allows me and 4 guests to buy tickets 1/2 off up to 5 or 6 times - also lets us stay at the hotel 1/2 off too. I'll take a look at it tonight and let you know. This weekend is a 3 day weekend though for Japanese so I wonder if it will be crowded up there..

Yeah - I drooled all day yesterday looking at the Hakkodas and the great weather up there. I think the rest of this winter will be spent waking up and looking at the mountains - clear - head to Hakkoda. Cloudy/snow - head to Hachimantai...

Ray, PM me with what you decide to do. Sounds like a great deal on the tickets and hotel! Unfortunately, I think the hotel AT the Forest is booked for the weekend (Japanese Holiday?). This is why we're staying down at the Royal.

One more day to go......