My best friend was followed home when we were working at an eikaiwa school. He grabbed her and tried to pull her into a dark alley but she fought back screaming and kicking him. She had a whistle attached to her key chain which she managed to get to and when she started blowing it, he let go of her and ran away. She called me in quite a state because the guy had seen her go home so knew where she lived. She slept with a kitchen knife under her pillow that night so I guess the guy was lucky he didn't try to find her!

She went to the police with our school manager the next day and after writing a report they directed her to a gun shop! She bought a can of mace from the gun shop and a skateboard from a skateboard shop (obviously). From them on she tied up all her (long blond) hair and put on her beanie, wore a huge hooded sweater & baggy pants and skateboarded home from the station with mace in hand! She never saw the guy again but it shook us all up at the school.

Not the situation in the case at the beginning of this thread but eikaiwa schools finish late and a lot of young women find themselves having walk home from stations alone after 10pm which is probably something they wouldn't do at home. Sometimes the advice of taking the same precautions here as you would at home isn't feasible.