I have decided to build a small computer and send it back home. I am fed up of paying for phone calls.

Usually my mobile phone bill is 25,000 and most of that is going back home because I am often too lazy to buy a call card and I don't have a credit card to pay for skype.

I am going to do all the configuration here so all they have to do is plug it in. But I have to chose between Ubuntu or XP (Vista is too gimicky just now)

Has anybody done the same?

uh, dude.....skype? My monthly phonebill is less than 2,500. And that is conference calls that I do weekly with the US that last an hour or more per call. Last night I made an hour long call, it cost me less than 50yen. I bought a usb phone (complete with number keypad and speakerphone) at Bic Camera - works like a champ. I actually have IP denwa as well, but I only use that for domestic calls - skype is the best. You can use Paypal for skype (just sell something on ebay and apply that money to your skype account). It's seems silly to build a computer to send back home when all you need is a little skypeout credit.

Cant get a credit card, I have been black listed in 3 countries so far. That is what being a student for too long gets you.

I am going the computer route because I can build a good one for pretty cheap. Also my sister has a new kid so I want him to have computer access at as young an age as possible. (If I go linux there are some amazing packages for children of all ages I was supprised at the quality of stellarium)

I 100% agree that wifi support is utter shit. But then I think the same of wifi, it is so unsecure even password protected its a joke in 30 minutes you can break into and leach of almost any wifi connection with auditor (now backtrack)

http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

Havn't had much of a problem with usb cameras though, even ubuntu recognised my camera and my canon 20d raw files straight away.