I just saw a thing on the news that was something about a huge budget being allocated so that overseas Japanese restaurants "server food correctly" or something. They mentioned the Washington Post or something calling it "sushi police". I didn't catch it all and just did a search but couldn't find anything...... anyone help out and know more at all_

Are they still going through with the toned down version of that very silly idea? I mean, it goes without saying that this is the country of sweet mild curry, non-spicy kimchi, natto spaghetti, tuna and mayo pizza, etc.

I mean, I can understand it if there's going to be proper sushi chef certification handed out by a new world body (there's a Napolitan pizza certification handed out to restaurants and similar certificates from those countries of origin), but there's no way you can do that for an entire cuisine like Japanese, Italian, etc.

Lots of Japanese restaurants in Japan won't be meeting the standard either if they serve fusion dishes or whatever, sheesh..

Quote:
Originally posted by gamera:
I hear teriyaki chicken is on top of sushi somewhere in the world. Maybe "don't do that" notice?
You can get karage sushi here so how will they stop the rest of the world!

Wife tells me that they're trying to have recommended rests that have Japanese chefs because of the huge numbers of chinese and koreans worldwide that have started up Japanese resturants and have no idea of the original taste etc.
Apparently the Thai, french, italian govs have similar things here?
My rule is to just eat in a thai rest with a thai chef, a j rest with a J chef etc..

I say, keep an open mind. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. We ordered the most Japanese sounding pizza on the menu the other day -- Mochi with nori and some other stuff. It didn't work. thumbsup.gif

Yea, I saw that a few months back - it's really about these 'japanese' restaurant that are being opened by Koreans and Chinese and serving 'asian' food under the banner of 'japanese food' So they want to 'certify' restaurants that serve authentic cuisine. I think it's a good idea, but I don't know it's worth my tax payer money to fund such an effort - couldn't an industry trade group pay?