Domain hosting recommendations

My domain and business website is hosted by a company in the US at the moment and it's very cheap - about $40 a year, if that. But the mail provided is flaky, and they have zero support.

So I checked out KDDI and their cheapest hosting deal is 3,200 yen per month - a much bigger hit.

Can anybody recommend a good hosting service, either in Japan or overseas, that's cheaper than KDDI?

Thanks.

I have a few options for you.

I work for a hosting company, it deals with the hosting of large sites. But we configure everything. Can even help you put you pc in our server farm, but it costs a lot.

We do, small hosting but again it is private for the moment. We can set up a VPS for you with a dedicated global ip. There we can even do the configuration for you or we can just mount the vps and you do what you like. E.g. make your own MTA sendmail postfix etc.

Third last option, host it yourself. If you just have one site and you want 100% control, download and install Plesk(it is used by hosting services).

Last I checked if you are just running one domain the licence is free. All you need is a global ip(you can get this through your japanese isp)

It is the easiest thing I have ever installed and is so powerful.

Second last option, in a few months I will be hosting my site at home(because it really is the best thing to do with optical fiber coming to my house) We could come to some arrangement. (But it is hosted on a spare laptop) As long as you are not getting 50,000 hits a day then it souldnt be a problem

Last the hosting I ususaly use is www.hostrocket.com they are ok but with no support (they are also running on plesk, funny that).