Yesterday I heard through the radio that fireworks are allowed only once a year in Newzealand on Nov.5th. But they didn't say the reason why.

I am now curious why. Any bad accidents in the past?

wakaranai.gif

5th November is Guy Fawkes, or bonfire night. He was leader of a Catholic conspiracy to blow up the Protestant UK parliament and King. Fireworks and bonfires are lit in celebration of the discovery of the plot. Guy Fawkes died a very unpleasant death.

You used to be able to buy fireworks, but the modern western safety culture ensures that this is now not possible. The protestant ethic is that life should have no fun. Proposed future legislation requires you to wear a full face crash helmet in bed, and the presence of an elf inpector should you wish to shag your girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
You used to be able to buy fireworks, but .......
too many dickheads bought them and stuck them up cats bums and ears, put them letter slots in doors, burnt down schools, put them in pipes and used them as roceket launchers targeting young school kids, set mountain sides on fire and caused the fire service a night of hell once a year.
Shame that 1% of the world are worthless vermin and ruin the fun for the rest of us but such is life.

Agreed. No rockets or sparklers for big brother and me. The thrupenny bangers used to make a hell of a pop. Buried in the ground they could excavate quite a crater. In a milk bottle full of water they made a very effective anti-personnel weapon.

Life was so much simpler in the days of 12d to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound. When I was 16, I used to bike to a country pub where a pint cost 1/10d. Sigh.

Yes, I remember as a child, firecrackers and fireworks could be bought in the streets in HK and were very popular during Chinese New Year. However, they caused many accidental injuries and were banned. We still have fireworks displays every year but it is controlled by the government and the public cannot buy any of it.

Hum...so, Japan is one of rare places where anyone can buy some fireworks anytime to enjoy?

------------------------------------------------

We bought a pile of fireworks in Switzerland last year from a souvenir shop. Good quality too.

We let them off while in France to celebrate my daughters birthday.

Zaru = basket.

Baskets can pass liquor without limit, right?

So when we call some heavy drinkers without limit, we call them "Zaru" in Japanese. This is a slang, not for formal occasions.

If you found some parties drinking some alcohol around cherry blossom when they are in bloom, maybe you can get some if you talked to them "Watashi wa zaru desu" lol.gif

Remember, Saru = monkey.

Just one letter difference in English alphabet but it means a lot different.