Nope, but things sure look different with a few meters of snow on them...

Don't want to sound like a dream squasher, but if you're thinking about opening a bar you should really check the place out first, there are only a few small bars around there for a reason.

Hey Panhead Pete, I dont want to sound like a dream squasher as well but are you really serious about starting a business? On another topic you wrote about how you want to start a business and work for yourself which makes me think that you have never been self employed before. If you havent had your own business why would you consider starting one in a country you have never been to, before trying it first in your home country. Do you have any idea about taxation/regulations/insurance and permits required to start up a bar in Japan. Sure with the building prices being as cheap as they are in Japan and also the favourable exchange rate it wouldnt be that expensive to try and live the so-called "Dream" which others are trying and they will quite possibly be successful. These people I would imagine have spent time in Japan and have the finances available to do this. You may have the money available to start a business but as Stevo said there are only a few bars around there for a reason. I dont want to sound rude but I think you really need to do a lot more research into A. What Hakuba Needs(that will also make you a living) and B. What will it take to get that business running considering that I know little about the country/culture/system apart from what Ive heard from other people or studied on the net.

My advice to anyone wanting to set up in Hakuba would be to come in mid April and ask the other foreign guys in town how they've done over the season, especially the guys who are new to Japan like yourself. Things will be pretty much winding up by then. I wouldn't bother asking over New Year, for example, because people will be busy and its too early to tell.

Don't expect too much from the Internet mate. Seeing things for yourself is far more important.

Thanks guys, great input. I have two businesses over here that I operate part time so do have some basic business acumen as well as a diploma of business and some progress into a MBA. Learning the taxation and legalities of opening a bar, even in a foriegn country is something I feel I can gain a good undertstanding of pretty quickly as I would seek out professional advice in those matters as I do here. In my current job I gain all the neccessary permits and do the reporting for large mining projects so perhaps that might help explain a little of my confidence that if i proceed I could succeed.

I agree at this stage it is just a dream and I need to know a lot more prior to doing anything. I have done a little market research and a bar kept popping up with those that were asked. Having been involved with managing one before it seems like a good fit. I certainly wouldn't contemplate doing anything prior to being there for some time and I have 5 weeks booked dec/jan and may extend that further. Once again thanks.