doesn`t make you want to eat your ears.

I have been really getting into Soul Flower Union and its side projects, Mononoke Summit (`ching dong punk`, the sleeve says) and Japonesian Balls Foundation.

They are by far the most political and creative group i have heard, and also give English transations to most of their work. The ching dong stuff is traditional-style stuff from befoe the war, and they sing old labor songs, ainu, burakumin, and korean folk-songs, as well as some earlier politically-themed stuff that has since dissappeared from all contemporary japanese music

And they sing the Dead Kennedys `Kill the Poor` in Japanese!

Quite seperately, i also am starting to love a dub band called `Dry and Heavy`, that are nothing short of amazing.

Another great band is an indy punk band in Tokyo called `The Happening` which are poppy and intelligent. Great songs, dealing from everything from whaling to globalization to creepy old dudes going to south-east asia to exploit young prostitutes.

And good reccommendations?

I`ve heard The Pillows are great, but haven`t had a chance to check them out yet.

Could be a little tought to find, but check out Junko Yano--first album in particular. She's a piano player/singer/song writer who used to play clubs around Kochi City after graduating from high school. She landed a record deal a couple of years ago.

Did anybody see the Hibari documentary last week? Boy could that lady sing. I'll be getting some of her songs for my PC.

hibari_misora_coca70007.jpg

She started as a child prodigy in the war, and throughout her life she carried that Showa Era charm and professionalism that we still see today in North Korean artistic endeavour. No out-of-range nasal droning and spastic hand clasping from our Shibari ... I mean, Hibari.

OK, if you like Dry and Heavy you might like to check out Audio Active. These guys have been around for over a decade and are the godfathers of Jdub as far as I know.

I like a lot of the rock and indie stuff I see on Space Shower TV. Hard to see or hear this music unless you search it out. Just because all you generally hear and see is rubbish doesn't mean there aren't good bands out there. Good music just generally stays below the radar and the s***storm of idol pop and hip-hop lite predominates.

Lots of good Jelectronica out there too. From Yoji Biomehanika to Cornelius (though they're also on the rock tip) and everything inbetween, there's plenty out there.

In NZ hip-hop,grunge, metal, electronica and dub etc booms (past and present) have respectively put more interesting fare on the top 40 plate. Similar to a lot of countries I imagine. In Japan the top 40 almost always seems to be the same kind of pap.

Spangle Call Lilli Line is mix of indie and J-Pop that is so well done and far from the standard, mindless lollipop teenie bop J-Pop fare.

They are probably my best recommendation as my other J-music mostly classify as guilty pleasures.

dry&heavy & audio active have all toured oz & were awesome live - ive never caught them over here though.

cornelius is doing an instore at tower records in shibuya next tuesday at 7pm if anyone's interested?

i'm looking forward to it as he always puts on a wicked show (plus the price is right)!