For you former Hawaii residents out there, or people with Hawaii ties, there was a 6.6 - 6.9 (Richter scale) earthquake with its epicenter off the Kohala coast of the Big Island around 7AM on Sunday the 15th (Hawaii time). It should be all over CNN and other news sites. Minor structural damage and rock slides affecting roads on the Big Island and some rock slides on Maui. Oahu was shaken pretty well, and the denki went off-line until after midnight in some places. No fatalities AFAIK.

\:\(

Supposedly some ceiling tiles fell in here and there, and there was some possible structural damage at a hospital in Kona. There was a house fire in Palolo last evening that may be due to candles being used after the power failure, so there may in fact be a fatality related to the earthquake. Definitely good there wasn't a tsunami, especailly since the epicenter was no further than several dozen kilometers off the coast - there would have been scarce time to sound any alarms.

Very rare. little one's occur regularly, the kind only sismologists know about., but nothing like this for a along time. Wouldn't it suck to be one of the tourists stuck at Honolulu airport?

As all the griping by O'ahu people about the power failure decreases in the local mascomi, the true reports of damage begin filtering in from the Big Island. Saw reports of at least 2 century+ year-old churches having wall collapses, and Kona's Hulihe'e Palace and some Kohala Heiaus took some damage - mostly places with mortarless or unreinforced rock construction. Some of the newer Waikoloa and Kohala hotels had wall cracking and piping failures.

For all intents and purposes, everything was back to normal this (Tuesday) morning on O'ahu.

In general, all the outgoing flights on Sunday were cancelled. Incoming flights were brought in, but all the people who couldn't leave were still occupying Waikiki hotel space, so the new arrivals had issues checking in. JAL euphemistically "delayed" the departure of all of its Japan-bound flights, but since the equipment used for the outbound flights is the same as used for the inbound flights, everything was just bumped back 24-hours - I'm pretty sure they didn't have a pile of spare planes handy to take care of the next day's Hawaii-bound flights. Needless to say, there were a lot of disgruntled people at airports on both ends (Don't get me started on JAL and "delayed" flights).

There was surprisingly little retail goods property damage reported... read something in the Advertiser about a glass-artist's shop in Waikoloa whose inventory was pretty much wiped out.

Yup - that's this weekend. A bunch of people from the shop I arubaito at are going up. I wonder if any of the out-of-state participants have opted out with all the news coverage earlier in the week.