Sorry to be crapping on both your taste in films and your taste in games, but backgammon is really a game for chartered accountants. Prudence is the only character trait required to win every time. It is brother to Othello, that other rather tiresomely inevitable sub-chess game.

Has anybody tried Go (and enjoyed it)?

Ocean, cool enough if you don't like the game, but if you care to play me, I'll show you the opposite of prudence in a backgammon game.

I love the back game. This is not the best strategy to win, but it is by far the most fun.

An great game of simple probabilities. I'm way to lazy these days, but it used to be my regular mental work out, a way to explore the concept of risk and probability.

If you enjoy being a geek I suggest both of these as nice books of probability and statistical theory that you can apply in a simple game of Backgammon.

Remember: the dice does not have a memory.

012240761X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp

088385628X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp

In my younger days, i took a scientific approach to the game. read books, did the math and so on. but it did not make me a better player. I then stopped playing for a while.

Then i started to go to Christiania where i played Arabs and Iranians. fast games, lot of fun (and lots of hashish).

and i found out what the game really was about (for me anyway): having fun and socializing with complete strangers.

The book-reading approach is so... japanese?

No man, you got me wrong. I use the theory within those books for other pursuits. And I exercise my understanding of those theories by applying them to pure games of probability like Backgammon.

I didn't read the books to be a better Backgammon player. The game was simply a mental exercise, not a means to an end.

Put another way: I'm more interested in the content of those books than the game of Backgammon. I use Backgammon to explore the theories in the books.

I don't actually care much about the game of Backgammon in its own right at all.

Sorry for responding to your question in a way contrary to your biases.

No no \:\)

no need to apologize, it's just my reading skills that are not up to the standard of you guys, i even had to go to wiki to look up "prudence"

This is a free forum, and everyone have their right to express their views on dice games, boards, movies and gasses, and God. even if it means crapping a little on each other...

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
btw got some good medicine from the hospital, think i can do some boarding after all, i even get to feel kinda good after \:\)
Great news mate! clap.gif
Just take it easy for a little wile more.

You have to login first in “My yahoo” and then go to Games>Board games>Backgammon.

I use the same nickname as the forums so it won’t be hard to find us. Just check in one of the social lounges that are not many people logged on.

I am not sure if I can make it tonight though.