Creeky!

Already had three Nabe this Autumn. Got the full-set up here with me. I love my big clay pot nabe. It's our favourite thing, my girl and I. Nothing indoors makes us happier than hanging at the kotatsu and doing nabe. We had a good kimuchi nabe the other week.

I really like the ginger chicken balls, the three mushrooms (shitake, enoki and those alien planet looking ones), the clear noodles and the udon at the end. I also really like those sticks of burnt looking moche. Ponzu is my friend.

We are serious nabe freaks. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the concept of nabe changed my life. Its one of the reason I like one particular Japanese girl (over the home grown variety). I couldn't fathom being committed to someone that didn't love nabe, both eating and the concept.

Nothing beats a food loaded kotatsu, girl, beer, nabe. All followed my some mikan and... some "kotatsu time". Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more, ey, ey.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Mate, you have hit the nail on the head! Agree with every detail of that discription, right down to the wink wink nudge nudge. Those clear noodles, you mean the konyaku noodles right? MmmmmmMM!
Hey, I'm glad you have the same nabe stoke. It's real. Almost like saying 'only a surfer knows the feeling'. I tell you, when I left Australia I was very ignorant and if there is one thing I am glad I learnt about, it is the joy of the nabe. Yeah, yeah, its only food say the poor ones missing out.

I think that's the name of the clear noodles. I also like scallops in my nabe.

Ponzu with grated daikon!

Japan is a bit of a let down at times, but still, it has got a couple of basic things worked out and they do it better than most.

Indo - I hear ya about sitting on the floor. I got myself a big thick greek flokati rug and a bunch of big cushions, then put the kotatsu in the L of my L-shaped sofa and use the sofa as a comfortable 90 degree back and arm rest. Its like a little Japanese set up in a genies bottle. I haven't sat on a chair in my house for years. In fact, the shitter is the only other bit of furniture I use.

I'm not a big beefy guy so its comfy for me. I could see how others wouldn't like it so much.

The ponzu with grated daikon is good stuff too.

Recently I have really been getting into some of the good tofus around. I used to like it but didn't get into it all that enthusistically. But in the last year or two I've been starting to try some of the nicer more expensive ones. Good tofu at room temperature, a bit of ginger on top and some ponzu or shoyu thumbsup.gif Love tofu in nabe too! \:\)

Nabe me up! Last year in South Chiba we had some nabe and the folks i was eating with had shot some wild boar from the land they own. Tasted awsome!! And there is no other way to enjoy nabe than under your kotatsu "no pants" style (not only shabu shabu can be a naturist`s food!)!! Not sure about slurping the sauce out the belly botton though! lol.gif

Only downer to nabe is the oden slipping out of your chops and into the kimchee boiling away and splashing right into your eye!!

In the same way nabe with your girl is golden time, so too is yakiniku with your mates (although, I also love laid back Sunday evening yakiniku, just me and my girl. I reckon we ate it evey week)

Quote:
Originally posted by db le spud:
Nothing beats a food loaded kotatsu, girl, beer, nabe. All followed my some mikan and... some "kotatsu time". Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more, ey, ey.
You mean, jumping on your girl's guts and making the poor cow keep that mess of noodles and mushrooms inside?
 Quote:
Originally posted by grungy-gonads:
Not mad on it. Some of them I've had have been rather tasteless. Whats in bishu apart from sake CB?
whatever you wanna put in it - its like Okonomiyaki in that regards.

Had round 2 of Nabe last night - couldnt finish it all from previous night. Same base and then fish, hakusai, tofu, enoki, gyoza ( lol.gif

I dunno about gyoza in nabe. Oh yes, it's definitely very tasty. But is it a strictly proper thing to do? Should one really be chasing those sloppy bits of fragrant Chinese 'kawa' around with a spoon instead of restricting oneself to the more restrained Japanese items? Chotto nayamu koto nai?

Oysters. Ptptptptpttttp!

not if they are suigyoza O11. I reckon I have seen them in nabes in restaurants.

YP, I was really lookin forward to that sake nabe in Saijo last year before the sakematsuri kicked off. Was gutted when the place was booked out...

If you use fresh stuff and make or buy good sauces, nabe is killer. I'm not a fan of "clear the fridge" nabe, and since you can throw anything in, nabe parties tend to involve someone grabbing the cheapest thing in the supermarket. Small numbers is best.

Hoshiyama of Kyoto (available on Rakuten) do superkiller kimuchi and "annyomu" or whatever that red spicy paste is called for kimuchi nabe. Its miles better than anything in a supermarket.

Made properly, oden is super killer too. Forget the conveni one. Oden daikon is da bomb.

Conbini oden is the lowest point of Japan (closely followed by pizza man).

Recently I bought a thick heavy iron plate to go on my kotatsu gas stove thing. I'm now doing solo yakiniku at the kotatsu in my house. No quite the same, but as a lazy Australian who like a beer and a bbq... not bad.

Japan may have bombed Sydney and Dawin, but they also invented the kotatsu. All is forgiven.

On our honeymoon while we were in OZ we made a few nabe's for people that we stayed with. Eveyone was blown away. I think it might be the secret to me climbing the ladder at work faster by dressing up the missus and having a nabe dinner party for the future boss!

Do we have any lovers of " French nabe "?

The meat can be anything you fancy really - pork, chicken, sausages, or beef, or some combination thereof. And Japanese vegetables (daikon!) can also be added.

This shares many of the good points of nabe and oden.