My wife and i are going for a 3 days trip to Tanegashima next week.

hopefully we will spend most of our time in the water. I was wondering if anyone has been there?

any advice on surf spots, sights and restaurants would be appreciated.

Will you have a car and tent? We drove down there from Kochi a number of years ago and pitched tent at different locations. It's a pretty big (actually long) island. There are a couple of really small towns but probably better to get supplies and cook on the beach than rely on kisatens 30 minutes drive away. Empty beaches... some with water and toilet facilities... you can pitch a tent anywhere... VERY NICE... I wasn't really into surfing at the time (unfortunately) but the east side gets waves and there's also some coral, sea caves, etc...

They don't drag the beaches so expect to see some debris and garbage but that's natural --kind of.

Tanegashima should be really nice and quiet this time of year. Here's what it looked like on Golden Week, 1996.

/Users/gerardmarchesseau/Desktop/tanega1.jpg

/Users/gerardmarchesseau/Desktop/tanega2.jpg

/Users/gerardmarchesseau/Desktop/tanegashima3.jpg

Nice. The Tohoku beaches I know aren't as nice as that. The Sea of Japan coast is pretty grubby. The Pacific side is much cleaner and the water clearer, but soubriquette doesn't like it because it's rocky.

Imageshack already provides the [/img] embeddable code for forums, which is why the redundant code has shown above. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Ahh thanks ger for those appetizers uhmmm \:\)

Indo, shipping the boards is quite costly, about 30.000 yen a piece, with 2 boards... no way ...

And you are right, boards under 180 cm can go on the plane, life would be easier as a shortboarder..

we had no problems getting longboards on the plane to tokunoshima last year though, don't even think they charged us.

so, we will try the BIC experience. 5000 yen per day.

3 years ago i surfed with some Californian's in Maui, both very good surfers, they swore that the BIC boards were great boards

i am going to miss my own "log" though

Soubs, don't know what part of the coast ya talking about the when I surf fukui on the Japan sea its always way better than the polluted pacific side. The waters always clearer and less crap on the beaches and surrounded by greenery.

Pacific coast is plain, and unscenic (maybe all besides IZU)

That's why I qualified it with "the Tohoku beaches I know". On the Japan sea side, it is Shonai, which is the coastal plain of Yamagata ken. The sandy beaches are pretty dull, and the rocky areas north and south are blighted by an arterial road.

On the Pacific side we go to northern Miyagi, above Ishinomaki, and Iwate. That's a ria coast, where forested mountains drop straight into the ocean. The population is very low, so there's not much rubbish coming down the rivers, and no major sea lanes so not much coming off the ships. I like to snorkel and vis is excellent. I'm sure there's good surf too, but I don't know the spots.

The photos I have don't really do it justice. This is in Iwate.

soubriquet_38.jpg

This is the bay of Islands, Miyagi.

soubriquet_36.JPG

Indo, are you talking about the beaches between Tokyo -- Nagoya -- Osaka?? I've never been to a beach in that area but I imagine them to be discusting. But that's a very small portion of the Pacific Ocean coastline. The beaches and coastline in the south are pretty good. ie. shikoku and Kyushu etc.