i'm thinking about heading down to the northern alps to do some backpacking this week, but the news is telling me i should avoid nagano at all costs. i generaly find that the news here is sensationalized and eres on the side of EXTREME caution. what is the oppinion of those of you living in the nagano area? is it safe? or is it best to let the mud settle back to normal?

thanks a lot

I know what you mean they seem to do they best to blow things out of all proportion. Having said that, you really want to go in all this rain?

Don't worry about it

You'll be fine

Some access roads might be closed but other than that it's been blown way out

-Not that the rain wasn't devastating and deadly to some people

But why go in from the Nagano side anyways

It's much more developed than the Gifu/Toyama side

I usally believe you toque but i think you are wrong this time. I saw 3 to 4 points of massive slides onto the highway. Its settled down now but this one killed something like 20 people from west to east mostly landslides. I would climb shirouma or kamikouchi right now if its raining.

ps how are you on the net?

thanks for the info guys.

i think i am just going back out and wait for the rain to stop. i can get soaked up here too. no need to travel that far south for such pleasures.

Yah Route 158 (connects Takayama with Matsumoto) had a load of debris on it Saturday morning. 1 place an entire lane of the 2-lane highway was gone. Lucky the entire road at that point didn't vanish because the road sees a lot of traffic

The mountains will be fine. Any problems on the trails will be easy to get around and if not will only throw a little adventure into your journey