Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster :p

I'm heading to over to Tokyo for 3 nights from the 20th of June before I head over to Europe! One of the things i wanted to do in Japan was climb Mt Fuji, now does anyone know if this is possible to do in a day trip?? That is going from station 5 to the sumit and back \:\) I know most people either climb it to see the sunset or sunrise, but I don't have enough time to do that \:\( If you know if this is possible and know how i can organise it please let me know \:D

Thanks

from Mark in Australia

Hey tactic,

If you aren't planning on seeing the sunrise or sunset, reaching the summit and retuning from the 5th station parking lot are achievable in a day, no problem. The problem may lie in getting to the 5th station early enough from Tokyo, then getting a bus back when you get down. I think there are buses that leave Shinjuku at night and get you to the 5th station when the gate opens around 07:00. Try doing some websearching and I'm sure you will find the information. Maybe try the JNTO Engrish website, or just search on "climbing Mt. Fuji". I had a pile of links saved from when I did the climb last year, but I seem to have dumped them (I started from the "bottom").

Also, check on when the "climbing season" opens... offhand I'm not certain if your trip dates fall within the period the mountain is open for hiking.

Peace.

Nope, Fuji usually opens on 7/1, which don't mean shit cause you can climb it anytime it's just that some huts wont be open yet. Also, the direct buses don't run from Shinjuku till climbing season opens. You can take a bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchi-ko though. From there you have to switch to a dif. bus which runs hourly, or you can really climb the Mtn. instead of half by taking off on foot from Kawaguchi-ko. If your a really strong climber I believe it can be climbed from the bottom and back in one day, although that would be a rough, super long day. No matter what I think the last bus leaves the 5th st. at around 5 or so.

IMO the dates you are coming are the best dates you could have possibly chosen for climbing Fuji.

Good luck.

Cool thanks for that! I'll do some more research, I was hoping to climb the mountain in a group or something like that, as I don't want to get lost and end up on the news lol

There are four routes to climb up Mt.Fuji (3,776m).

- Yosida-guchi (2,305m): Up 5:00 & Down 3:00

- Subashiri-guchi (1,980m): Up 5:30 & Down 2:30

- Gotenba-guchi (1,440m): Up 7:20 & Down 3:00

- Fujimiya-guchi (2,400m): Up 4:35 & Down 2:30

note) Plus one hour on climbing up time for average hikers.

Shuttle bus for each trail head(guchi) operates from July 1st thru August end. Only bus for Yoshida-guchi operates from April 29. There is a fine lodge at Yoshida-guchi which accomodation starts from June 30.

If I were you without a car;

1st day: Shinjyuku -bus- Kawaguchiko -bus- Yoshida-guchi -20 min walk- Sato hut (Stay).

2nd day: Sato hut -climb 6 hours- The Top - down 3 hours- Yoshida-guchi -bus- Kawaguchiko -bus- Shinjyuku.

Sato hut is a typical Japanese mountain hut provides meal and bed service. No bath and no shower. You do not expect western style accomodation. It is really "Japanese". e.g. a FUTON in a common TATAMI room.

The temprature around the top will be near to zero centigrage at dawn. You must ware underwares for mountaneers (no cotton) and autumn clothes, and have a thick fleece jacket, a rain ware, a headlamp and other hiking stuffs. Footware may be treckig shoes, heavy-duty sneakers, or light-weight mountain boots.

Information:

Bus schedule: +81-545-71-2495 (J languge only)

Reservation:

Sato hut: +81-555-23-1807 (J language only)

Sunrise Time at Yoshida-guchi:

May to June: 04:20am to 04:32am

June to Aug: 04:32am to 04:55am

Sept to Oct: 05:19am to 05:42am

Yahoo! Map(Kenga-mine: The top of Mt.Fuji):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=35.21.26.22...b%ce%bb%b3&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Yoshida-guchi):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=35.23.26.82...b%ce%bb%b3&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Subashiri-guchi):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=35.21.46.66...b%ce%bb%b3&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Gotenba-guchi):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=35.19.57.90...b%ce%bb%b3&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Fujimiya-guchi):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=35.20.0.502...b%ce%bb%b3&sc=5

Yahoo! Map(Sato Hut):

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?nl=35.23.7.727...b%ce%bb%b3&sc=5

Probably easier to just rent a car at the airport and drive straight there. Sleep in the car in the 5th station car park and then go up & down the next day.

Be careful of the weather though - turn around if the wind gets too strong. People get killed on Fuji every year because of the strong winds. They literally get lifted up and thrown back down on their heads, breaking their necks. I was up there in June one year and there were 40m/s winds which had us calling the police & being allowed to take refuge in the weather centre building which used to be up there. Our tents were ripped to shreds (with the pegs still in the ground) and the only way we could move was by dragging ourselves around on our stomachs. Scary stuff!

Beautiful mountain, been camping and partying there several times at raves waaay back in the day. I remember looking up at the lights of the pilgrims doing the climb at one of them. Clear night, Underworld playing, and me howling at the moon. Never made the trip up Fuji but the top of a volcano at dawn is a good place to be. Climbed Mt Merapi in Indo once-the one which is blowing up right as I type.

Winds are sort-of "hit or miss" up there. When I did it, it was really evil, but the next day it was nearly dead calm. You just have to take your chances. If it's too windy, cut your losses and turn back. You can always try the next time you visit - the mountain will still be there!

\:\)