One meter of powder will do that to a person though \:D I have never had a bad time at Amihari. It's not a big or flashy mountain and doesn't get any fanfare at all. I'm actually glad about this. It is a hidden gem that not too many people know about or are unwilling to make the drive to. Most people from the Morioka area tend to hit up Shizukuishi or Appi because that is what's advertised. Amihari though..... The terrain is nothing spectacular, but the main runs are just enough out of the ordinary to make the place stand out. (Whoaaah...small earthquake) Anyway, the thing, in my book, that makes it stand out - the tree skiing and the backcountry off of the top lift. Now, I never thought I would ever, ever, ever, ever say this, but the powder was TOO deep yesterday to do some of my favorite backside runs. I'm talking untracked, chest-deep powder all day! We had to search for a bit to find the steeper runs to facilitate the skiing of this pow, but when we did, WOW! Best day of the season, probably best day I've ever had skiing in Japan, by far \:D

It was cold though. My video cam battery froze up and we only got a tiny bit of footage - of me eating shit. I was supposed to go surf today, but my shoulder is too jacked from the yardsale \:\) I think I can live with it though. Here are a couple of pics from yesterday - nothing special, but thought I'd share:

Random shot of the trees. My buddy and I were singing 'Champagne' by 311 all day \:\) It looks heavy in this pic, but it was very dry due to the temps.

l67786.jpg

A shot of the peak across the valley. There actually is a defunct ski resort with incredible potential on the other side. Anybody want to pitch some money in and buy it?

l67788.jpg

Artistic shot??

l67784.jpg

Incredible day. How was it elsewhere? Looking at the maps, it looked like the Nagano/Hakuba area got dumped on. Amihari only reported getting 10cm of snow - what a surprise to find 90cm more than that! I actually dug a pit on one run to check out the Avi potential. It was looking pretty sketchy so we hung to the trees.....but damn! So much snow! Can you tell I'm still stoked \:D

Weird message: 'We cannot process your posting, because you have exceeded the maximum number of images allowed per post. The current maximum is 8'

Umm, there are only 4 pics in here. I'm gonna take pics out one by one and see if this will post.......