I need to wear glasses and recently took the step to try out some contact lenses, but to my disappointment I really didn't like them - felt really uncomfortable.

People here with contact lenses - was it uncomfortable for you as well at the beginning, is it something that you just get used to?

Charlotte, I think it depends on what type you wear. Different lenses suit different eye problems & lifestyles. I don't wear contacts but I work in an eye clinic in Yokohama - bit far for you to come but PM me if you need any help or advice. Might be able to recommend a few brands/types to try depending on your situation.

I had a horrible time trying to wear goggles over glasses and having two layers of mist between me and the mountain, so I tried 1-day disposable contacts.

They're a devil to get stuck on, but once on they're OK while you're doing your thing. After about 5 hours though, your eyeballs begin to feel as if they're suffocating.

So for activities where you're really don't want to wear glasses, the disposables are just about good enough.

I use 1-day disposables and I think they are so much better than the month lenses I used before. You don't notice them at all and actually feel a lot less 'suffocating' then other thicker lenses.

I switched to 1 day disposables because I had problems with infected eyes from sand blown into the lenses in dusty, dry places.

When I travelled through south amercia I could only use 1 lense (and so see good with only 1 eye) for 3 months. By the time my infected eye was healed the other got infected and so on.

contacts aren't great but I just can't get used to wearing glasses. It gives me a headache after a morning wearing them.

I wore contacts for 6 years - acuvue disposables from when I was 17 to 23. Took while to get used to inserting them but after a few weeks it was all good.

Only ever lost one and that was scuba diving.

Had a couple rip, it was like a dagger in my eye; your cornea is really sensitive.

Never really had any trouble, slept overnight many times while drunk, they were pretty dry in the morning but I just flooded my eye with saline or eye wash and it was fine.

Kept them well clean and never had an eye infection.

Got sick of the continual expense and hassle in the end and got the permanent solution 6 years ago: LASIK laser eye surgery and have never looked back.

One of the greatest days of my life, the day following the surgery when the took off the eye patches.....