gardening / growing vegetables

I wouldn't like to find one of those poxy brown leaves in my pasta. I'm not coming over to yours for dinner.

(I just found this wonderful page of bay leaf wisdom in case I do feel like coming round to your house at some time for dinner. BTW, my neem trees that nearly died of cold are doing springlike things, so we can all heave a big sigh of relief about that.)

Thanks 011! Looks like it could be getting too much sun. I'll try moving it to our other balcony where there's more shade.

While Spring is on its way for you guys the weather is finally getting cooler here clap.gif

nicole, have you tried playing with worms? I recommend you get a nice Australian Can-O-Worms, buy a bagfull of worms, and start feeding your plants worm poo. I'm very happy with my Can-O-Worms (I put the lid on my Outback mountainboard when I feed them - gotta love marsupial Australian design!)

Jackie French recommends keeping your plants healthy through good soil management as an alternative to treating their diseases and distempers, and worm poo is the stuff to do it with.

Nicole, really the worms will work wonders and eventually pay for themselves. You could also check out the WORMTOPIA by Sunleaves.I believe it's a bit smaller, but still pretty big. Two books to check out would be "The worm book" and "Worms eat my garbage". I can't wait to get a house to setup a garden, Pops always had a greenhouse growin up.

Worms offer appear to offer a lot more than their reputation or and physical form suggests.

If you want protein and are prepared to kill for it then worms are also incredibly good trout fishing bait. Use a very light running leaded line to drift a worm down a shallow stream or creek. A 3 inch worm very quickly become a 12 inch brown trout.

Worms are not extremely tasty. I've eaten fistfulls of them, and apart from the crunchy dirt in their gullets, they're very bland. Cooking them with good bay leaves would no doubt improve them (but on the survival course on the Scottish border that I took, there were no bay trees around so we boiled them in rusty cans and river water.)

These worm bins are far bigger than they need to be. I'm going to design a better, smaller one.