Turning "OFF" virus protection.

When something does not go correct on my computers I often inquire the software makers by e-mail or whatever. Then they often advice me to turn the virus protection software (Norton, Virus-basters,Mcafee etc )off. Sometimes it works but I can't see what a virus protection software is for, then?

I mean if your e-mailer does not receive e-mails correct then if they advice you to turn it off?

Very dangerous!?!?!?

Not the case what I recently inquired though.

I had this problem recently - I had to turn off the anti-virus, reboot then turn anti-virus on again. Since then no problem.

Try using a different email client, I use Mozilla Thunderbird and I never have problems with it, its also got an RSS reader built in.

Ah, bobby I spoke generally. I don't have any problems with my e-mailer at the moment.

Sorry if I didn't explain it good.

The last time I got this "turn off" advice thing was for my mail distrubutor software for newsletter.

stop panicing!!!!!!

Antivirus software is a good thing to have, everyone connected to the internet should have some kind of antivirus prg installed (avoid Norton btw)

but ask yourself: how many viruses have i actually caught over the years?

personally i catch one or two a year, tops!

unless you open and run a silly .exe attachment from a mail, look up some hard core animal action, or download some cracked software from kazaaemulebittorrent, you are unlikely to ever get virus.

you DON'T get virus from being connected to the internet alone, you need to have actual intercourse

> you DON'T get virus from being connected to the internet alone, you need to have actual intercourse

But you can seriously injure yourself by having unlubricated intercourse with a serial port.

I'm going through the hell now of setting up a new hard disk as Norton Ghost informs me that, yappari, my old disk has some wet patches on it. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a friggin' nightmare.

Ocean, now is a great chance to install a new windows, lots of work, but you will get a clean registry and a very fast computer.

i had some troubles with Norton Ghost, wanted to transfer my fat32 system to a new ntfs disk, that never happend, Ghost kept formatting my new drive back to fat32.

Rach,

FYI, "FAT32" is just geekspeak for "File Allocation Table 32" and is just a descriptor for how Windows is dividing up the space on the hard drive into little predetermined spaces. "NTFS" is "(WIndows) NT File System", and is basically the same as FAT32, but has provisions for encoding/passwords for each space.

If you have Windows 2000 or later (like XP) you have NTFS.