2 million in the UK apparently.

>>>

A new generation of couples who are dedicated to each other but choose to live apart has emerged in Britain. Two million people may be living apart (but) together - dubbed LAT - new research shows.

They are singles, divorcees and widowers who prefer to live in separate homes while in a long-term relationship.

Singles in long term relationships while living in their own apartment/house isn't that unusual because couples living together before marriage isn't as common here. In fact it sounds like things in the UK are just returning to how they were in the past if less people are living together before marriage. Married couples living apart would be unusual, separated couples who are technically still married are not counted, right?

At the risk of personal detailing that is not appropriate....

I appear to belong to one of these new trendy modern demographics at last!

I am in a 2 year old relationship. We have not lived in the same country as each other for the last 1 and a half years, let alone lived under the same roof! I find it completely normal, in fact, it is fantastic. Best relationship I have ever dreamt of having: the geography has no negative impact at all. An added benefit is variety. Life gets pretty dull* if you live in the same country, city, suburb, house, bedroom.

In my set up, we have essentially 4 countries to choose from, two of which we live in, neither of which are our native homelands.

These days, the best (only) reason I can think of to live together is to get some shared rental expense thing going.

* For me. Obviously you may well not think the same.